OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Food Plot Screens?  (Read 4950 times)

Offline jtoliver43

• Conserve. Hunt. Share.
Food Plot Screens?
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
hey everyone,

I am curios if any of you use food plot screens to hide your plots? I have a new property that I am hoping to establish and plant food plots. primarily for turkey, however the area I want to plant is adjacent to and clearly visible from the road. They're are birds in this field all the time, and I've already caught a teenager pulled over on the road and using his mouth call to harass and strike gobbles from the birds in the field. I have read a little bit about Egyptian wheat, mostly used for deer plots. Can any of you suggest something I can plant along the road that will be tall and full enough in the spring to block the area that I hope to establish as a food plot?
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

Offline bszweda

Re: Food Plot Screens?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:20:46 AM »
I just planted hybrid poplar for my road screen. I think some sort of fast growing evergreen would be needed to provide a year around screen / early spring.  (White spruce, Norway, loblolly pine) Another option I looked at was Miscanthus giganteus.

Offline Bigfoot

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »
hybrid willow is fast growing.  also simple field corn will get you 8 ft in 3 months

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:55:22 PM »
Where are you at in the US? American Plum once established with shield you. Will take a few years but it is a permanent solution.

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
Depending where you are you can plant Leyland cypress. We planted 177 of them about 9 years ago and they are close to 25 foot tall now. No way in the world you can see through them.

Drew