OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Two kills so far  (Read 2942 times)

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
Two kills so far
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
Sorry so late...

Entry #1 was killed Saturday Morning April 4th.

I saw the day earlier go into a hardwood bottom through a barbed-wire fence.  The next morning I setup on the other side of the fence where they walked in.  It backed up to a road and bridge about 300 yards behind it so it was an easy walk in.  He never gobbled once but strutted his way in and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Entry #2 was killed yesterday April 13th.

They came off the roast so early it was too dark to see a beard, but he was in full strut.  I was in a low spot, 2 jakes, a gobbler, and a hen worked there way around to my decoy on the other side of a rise; all I could see was him fanning and strutting and the two jakes fighting with each other occasionally.

They passed behind a tree directly in front of me, and I moved my gun, only to see the hen that I had failed to pick back up staring at me.  She alerted and I took the shot at the strutting gobbler.  Once again he never gobbled.

When I went to pick up the bird, turned out to be a third Jake.

I have never killed a jake, so I felt really bad.  I should have waited to see the beard, but when the hen alerted, I took the shot.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Two kills so far
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »
Hey turkey meat is turkey meat that's how I look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Two kills so far
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
Congrats on the filled tags. The mistake jake sucks but it's really nothing to feel bad about. I did the same thing a couple of springs ago and mistakenly killed a monster 19lb jake. You still have several tags so go get another one!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »
Hey turkey meat is turkey meat that's how I look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed!  He acted like a turkey, he died like a turkey

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Two kills so far
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »
Congratulations on the big bird Walt!

Take no shame in the jake. I have killed three since I started turkey hunting. My first bird was a jake, my first double with a buddy was a jake, and I killed one on the farm one time because of my ego. I had yet to kill one there and I decided I was not striking out on my home turf, only jake I regret killing but it is the reason I did it that I regret. 

Sounds like you have another tom to go after since he pulled a fast one on you!

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 09:08:28 PM »
Great job! I wouldn't worry about the jake, I've considered rolling one a few times this year.