Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

More to come....

Started by trkehunr93, April 13, 2015, 07:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

He's the black blob on the right, thats where he died.  Went back and snapped a pic from where I was sitting.

I've scouted this property hard since mid-March and it paid off this morning.  VA's season opened Sat. and it was windy all morning, I hunted hard until noon (we have to be out of the woods by then) and only heard one gobble all morning.  I went back into the same spot this morning because of all the tracks I saw on the logging road Sat. even found a spot where one had spent some time strutting.  About 6:10 one gobbled below me and a few minutes later more turkeys started gobbling to my left.  They were closer so I walked the road towards them, as I got closer I could tell two were together and a third one was beyond them, that was 4 within 100 yards of me.  I got set up at a fork in the logging road so I could see left and right and called after I thought I heard one leave the tree at 6:30.  I called off and on and they would answer but never sounded like they were committed, I got up from where I was sitting to reposition and stopped to call after I walked about 75 yards and the two birds that were together sounded like they had moved closer so I hightailed it back to the tree.  I sat back down and thought I heard something moving down below me so I kept watching the road to my right and I quit calling.  Around 7:30 I look to my right and I see two gobblers coming in silent at 40 yards not where I expected them to come.  Luckily I had a tree they would have to walk behind as they crossed to my left which let me get my gun all the way up.  They came out standing side by side but finally one broke left and I let him have it.  Couldn't have asked for a better morning.  I got one tag left, we'll see if its an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Been checking in all day Saturday cause I knew a picture like this would pop up soon!  Congratulations Jim!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: davisd9 on April 13, 2015, 07:48:01 AM
Been checking in all day Saturday cause I knew a picture like this would pop up soon!  Congratulations Jim!

Me too. Congrats on a great bird!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

davisd9

Sounds like a great hunt!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WV Ridge Reaper

Me three...I knew Va opened Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Congrats on a nice bird!!!