only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns

Started by gophert, April 12, 2015, 08:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Quote from: outdoors on July 06, 2015, 12:50:24 PM
DID YA ASK WHAT THEY HAD TODO , REPLACED THE WHOLE THING OR JUST A ADJUSTMENTS

Just an adjustment.  I'm assuming they do some filing and polishing here and there, but what they do exactly I am not sure. 

Roost 1

gophert

Roost 1

gophert

TRIGGER UPDATE:

So I got the trigger assembly back from Rob Roberts today and let me say....IT IS FANTASTIC!!!!! I have not actually shot the gun, but the dry fire breaks crisp and quick.  I am going to try and shoot next week, but I can already tell this trigger is exactly what I was wanting. 

I strongly suggest getting the trigger done on this gun.  It will make an almost perfect turkey gun perfect. 

cutt down

Quote from: gophert on July 08, 2015, 09:37:43 PM
TRIGGER UPDATE:

So I got the trigger assembly back from Rob Roberts today and let me say....IT IS FANTASTIC!!!!! I have not actually shot the gun, but the dry fire breaks crisp and quick.  I am going to try and shoot next week, but I can already tell this trigger is exactly what I was wanting. 

I strongly suggest getting the trigger done on this gun.  It will make an almost perfect turkey gun perfect.

Awesome news! Gonna send mine shortly. Rob does great work.

gophert

3 Different 1-7/16 Patterns (Lil Gun, Steel, 2400 Pwdrs)  With the Weatherby Factory 575 and Carlsons 575. 

Lil Gun

Steel

vaturkey

They all look good Tim ! I see dead gobblers in your future !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

ElkTurkMan

I finally picked up one of these this week. I am really excited to see what it can do.  I love the feel of it and the lite weight.  I have been reading through the forum and I am going to start out with Fed #7's and buy a SumToy 562 choke.  From what I have read that seems like a great combo to start with.   Does anyone have any other recommendations on load/choke combo's?  Thanks guys in advance for any feedback.   

g8rvet

Trulock Heavyweight choke.  I got one from them because it is about an hour from my house.  I get my duck hunting chokes from them as well.  Great customer service.  My patterns are in the thread. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: g8rvet on January 07, 2016, 08:41:01 PM
Trulock Heavyweight choke.  I got one from them because it is about an hour from my house.  I get my duck hunting chokes from them as well.  Great customer service.  My patterns are in the thread.
Thanks for the advice.  I checked out your patterns on the pattern thread and I would be more than pleased with that.  I think I will purchase a TruLock and A sum toy and see what does best out of my gun.   

FL-Boss

I have done a ton of testing with this gun.  My findings are this..

1. The gun like Federal HW #7 and HEVI-13 #7 about the same...

2. Suntoy choke will give you the best numbers on paper, and the most "wow"  However, for actual hunting situations.. I personally like a little more spread. Therefore, I choose to use a Carlson .575 ...it does about 140-150...

gophert

Quote from: FL-Boss on January 08, 2016, 12:28:28 PM
I have done a ton of testing with this gun.  My findings are this..

1. The gun like Federal HW #7 and HEVI-13 #7 about the same...

2. Suntoy choke will give you the best numbers on paper, and the most "wow"  However, for actual hunting situations.. I personally like a little more spread. Therefore, I choose to use a Carlson .575 ...it does about 140-150...

I too have shot lots with this gun, however all of mine with TSS.  I get the best hunting patterns with the Carlsons .575 as well. 

I would encourage everyone that gets the 2015 model to have the trigger done.  It is a WORLD of difference and is a dream to shoot. 

FL-Boss

Also I should add - the 2014 model - Federal #7 was always the clear winner for me.
For the new 2015 + model - Fed and HEVI #7 are about the same.  I had the old model, and now the new 2015 model. Not sure why the difference. The new model does have a vent rib barrel .. but I believe the length of the barrels (new and old) are the same. Could be some other small differences in the barrels.

Of course this only apples to factory ammo - TSS hand loads will blow them all away...

cutt down

Mine gets 180+/- with the Sumtoy .562 & 165+/- with a Rob Roberts .575 with either Fed HW 7's or Hevi 7's. Seems to like both loads.