turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns

Started by gophert, April 12, 2015, 08:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

I don't think 190 is a good return on money and time invested.  I get high 160s with a Trulock and HW#7.  No holes in the pattern. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Fullfan

I bought my lill 20 last year in June, so I have been patently waiting for the season. Shot two birds in Missouri and two here at home in Pa. Love this lill gun and the TSS/Sumtoy combo works well. It also shoots the Federal Heviweight 7's very nicely. Hauled this gun for 4 days and 26.7 gps miles in Missouri and was very pleased.

Don't gobble at me...

rangerGT

Fullfan

Sorry for the late reply, was in a car crash and just spent 4 weeks in the Hospital. The camera in a Tactacam 4.0. Wish I would have had one 30 years ago. Was able to get 5 birds dyeing this past spring. Toughest part is keeping the camera on the bird after the shot. I will be mounting the camera on my bow this fall.
Don't gobble at me...

rangerGT

Quote from: Fullfan on July 28, 2017, 06:29:21 PM
Sorry for the late reply, was in a car crash and just spent 4 weeks in the Hospital. The camera in a Tactacam 4.0. Wish I would have had one 30 years ago. Was able to get 5 birds dyeing this past spring. Toughest part is keeping the camera on the bird after the shot. I will be mounting the camera on my bow this fall.

Dude....hope you are doing ok.  Thanks for the info on the camera.  I use a normal camera/tripod but man I'm tired of toting everything around.  I wish I could find a small camera that had a zoom.  Thanks for the honest assessment however. 

Sent from my typewriter

Fullfan

I wish I could show you the videos, I keep getting a msg that the files are to large. That lill camera has a 5x zoom. The video and sound quality is great. It even has a wyfi that I can match it to my phone.  Money well spent..  If you pm me your e mail I can try to send ya a few of the videos.

Bad crash I was in back on 06/22. No elk hunting this fall, should be walking by late Oct/Nov. My goal is to be able to get around by April 2018. Broken sternum, hips and pelvis. Right leg in 13 places, and my right knee is gone. I will get through this one day at a time.
Don't gobble at me...

Ross R

Just processed my order. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Lucky for me there is an FLL dealer in the building right next door. I am still trying to decide if I want to do the red dot or not.

rangerGT

Anyone out there taking the SA-459 out for the first time this 2019 season?  Let me hear your thoughts and post some pics

ads1

Quote from: rangerGT on January 09, 2019, 04:38:16 PM
Anyone out there taking the SA-459 out for the first time this 2019 season?  Let me hear your thoughts and post some pics

I got my SA-459 after the 2018 spring season. This will be my first season with the gun. It had a lot of creep in the trigger and pulling over 7 pounds. My local gunsmith has it smooth and down to 3 pounds. Also it is not cycling shells consistently. I understand it may take a break in of about 100 rounds.
This gun has the best overall pattern of any gun that I have shot and it is only a 20 gauge. This is a great handling gun and I am anxious for spring season to get here. Have a great season!
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

Ross R

A little over 2 weeks for me and hopefully I'll let her eat.  Just a word of caution. if your bolt handle seems loose be careful.  I heard of one that came flying out and hit someone in the face. 

Duffer58

I used a SA-459 20 ga for first time last season.  I got the turkey Extra Green version with the pistol grip.  I'm 60 and with the lighter weight and the better hand position with the pistol grip I love the little beast.  I shot Federal Heavyweight #7 last year but I got a couple of boxes of #7 Federal TSS to use this year.  I'm running a Vortex Venom 3 MOA sight with a Carlson 555 tube.  The trigger out of the box is horrible - and that is putting it mildly.  I got the trigger reworked to about 3.5 lbs with just a slight bit of creep.  That is the only weak point I have seen in the gun.  I did by a couple of boxes of field loads to run through the gun repeatedly to break it in.  I also recommend doing a deep clean of the barrel when you get ready too pattern and sight in.  Go to AllAboutShooting.com to learn about deep cleaning a barrel.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Fullfan

Quote from: Ross R on February 14, 2019, 11:05:02 AM
A little over 2 weeks for me and hopefully I'll let her eat.  Just a word of caution. if your bolt handle seems loose be careful.  I heard of one that came flying out and hit someone in the face.

Funny you should mention that about the bolt handle. Had that happen while doing some test patterning with a 1250 fps load.  Spend 30 min searching for the bolt handle, have since backed the load down and have not had any other problems yet.
Don't gobble at me...

FL-Boss

Regarding the trigger -  I ran across this -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WthNfA9DiRo
Not 100% sure if it will work with the Weatherby SA guns.. but I'm betting it will.
The mossberg and weatherby SA guns are pretty much identical. I sent my to Roberts for the trigger job, but I'm sure this solution is a whole lot cheaper assuming it will work.

Richard Cranium

These guns are ate up with awesomeness!

kwild835

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 23, 2019, 09:25:41 AM
Regarding the trigger -  I ran across this -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WthNfA9DiRo
Not 100% sure if it will work with the Weatherby SA guns.. but I'm betting it will.
The mossberg and weatherby SA guns are pretty much identical. I sent my to Roberts for the trigger job, but I'm sure this solution is a whole lot cheaper assuming it will work.
The Mcarbo worked awesome in my SA20 and took maybe 3 minutes to install.