OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns  (Read 87068 times)

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »
Well I have finally spent a whole weekend with this gun and all I can say is that this thing is one of the best pure turkey guns I have hunted with.  The combination of a fully camo, pistol grip automatic just makes it a dream and most of all, it's only 6.25 lbs.  It flat out throws incredible patterns with the two chokes I tried.  Here are a few features:

Barrel Length: 22"
Weight: 6.25 lbs
Camo:  RealTree
Stock:  Pistol Grip
Comes drilled and tapped with a rail. 
Chokes:  Winch/moss/weatherby...included choke is .575

Cons:

It will not eject cheap bird loads with 1200 fps.  (Don't even bother buying) Go ahead and find the 1325 fps bird shells (Winchester) to practice with.  After getting those, it ejected everthing I ran through it. 

The biggest con is the trigger pull.  It's pretty heavy and has A LOT of creep.  This is something I'm going to have to get adjusted after the season or practice a bunch. 

The receiver is rounded on the top, making the mounting of a Burris FastFire on the marlin 336 mount impossible.  However, it mounted fine on the included rail. 

Overall, for $625 out the door, it is a turkey beast!  If you are looking for a pure turkey gun, this thing excels in all areas.  Looking forward to many years of head busting. 

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
Re: 2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
Great numbers... I'm surprised more hard core turkey hunters don't have this gun. As for the gun not ejecting ... did you try the light shell collar ? My SA-459 ( 2014 version) came with 2 different collars... one for light shells, one for heavy. Maybe the new 2015 version doesn't come like this?  Either way, ejecting light shells isn't important for me as the only thing I have ever shot out of this gun is Federal HW

sounds like a keeper!

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
sorry about the patterns...photobucket is not working correctly...hopefully it will update. 

Yes it does come with the two collars (light/heavy). The gun would not eject the 1200 FPS shells even with the light collar...however the heavy ejected anything 1325 and up.

Sent from my typewriter

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
Ok.. got it.   I remember reading the same complaint about the Mossberg SA-20 I had ( pretty much same gun internally )  Again, never was really an issue for me personally since I only take this gun out during turkey season and I only shoot HW shells. 

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »
I GUESS THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW , I DONT HAVE TSS
I JUST SENT A CHECK TOO BUDSGUN GOOD PRICE AND
WHEN THE CHECK GOES THROUGH THIS IS ON ITS WAY
CAN'T WAIT
IVE BEEN CHECKING ON LINE AND THERES NOT ALOT OF CHOICES FOR CHOKES FOR THIS MODEL
AND THIS NEW MODEL HAS BETTER IMPROVEMENTS OVER THE OTHER ONE LOOKING LIKE A
MOSSBERG 20ga....
Can't wait
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
I GUESS THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW , I DONT HAVE TSS
I JUST SENT A CHECK TOO BUDSGUN GOOD PRICE AND
WHEN THE CHECK GOES THROUGH THIS IS ON ITS WAY
CAN'T WAIT
IVE BEEN CHECKING ON LINE AND THERES NOT ALOT OF CHOICES FOR CHOKES FOR THIS MODEL
AND THIS NEW MODEL HAS BETTER IMPROVEMENTS OVER THE OTHER ONE LOOKING LIKE A
MOSSBERG 20ga....
Can't wait
Should be a ton of chokes available since its just a Winchoke/Invector choke gun from what I understand.

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
Love my little weatherby. Smashes birds
Georgia Boy

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:59:29 PM »

Can't wait

Yes, there are a lot of choices for this model.  I would suggest the cheaper Carlsons extended in .575.  You can get them on ebay for $28 shipped.  I have seen it shoot Fed Hw very well and as you can see it shoots TSS outstanding. 

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »
WELL I HAVE A UPDATE , I CALLD WEATHERBY UP AND FOR THIS MODEL AUTO ,, Berretta / Benelli Mobile CHOKE IS WHAT I NEED TO HAVE ,, THE PUMP IS A DIFFERENT ONE THANKS.....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
WELL I HAVE A UPDATE , I CALLD WEATHERBY UP AND FOR THIS MODEL AUTO ,, Berretta / Benelli Mobile CHOKE IS WHAT I NEED TO HAVE ,, THE PUMP IS A DIFFERENT ONE THANKS.....

The 2014 SA-459 takes Beretta/Benelli Mobil chokes

The 2015 SA-459 takes winchester/Moss 500/weatherby shokes.  Here is the choke that comes in the 2015 SA-459.  Definitely NOT a beretta/Benelli mobil choke

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
And here is the factory choke that comes with the 2014 model -

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »
No complaints with my 14 model, but I like the look of the new model better. If I would have known, I probably would have waited. I just like the vent rib and sight better-I have gotten comfortable with the ghost ring like everyone said I would.  But mine is easy to point and is high 160s with HW#7 and a Trulock.  Sumtoy is even better I have heard.

On the light shells, I shot it a few times with the light loads. By about the 15th or so shell, it was ejecting them fine.  I clean it after shooting every time and it probably could use some  breaking in.  I read where others said 100 rounds on light loads and they are reliable. I will never find out as it is a turkey gun only for me.  I have a home defense weapon, so it is just for turkeys.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline gophert

• Longbeard
  • Middle TN
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
I had heard that there was a slight break in period on light shells, but I am like ya'll, I don't plan on shooting light shells. 

If I was going to shoot factory loads, I would most definitely shoot Fed HW #7's and a Sumtoy .562.  That combo has put up great numbers on everyone of these guns. 

It was a little tight with my TSS loads so I went with the cheaper Carlsons, which was not to shabby either. 

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
I only went with Trulock because they are right up the road from me.  I am very happy with my results.  Sumtoys are awesome too. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
The Carlson and Trulock are the same...  I have them both.  To me they are the best all around "hunting choke" for this gun.  As for highest numbers and "wow" factor... Sumtoy all the way...