turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Newbie need some advice!

Started by CMURPHY, March 25, 2011, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMURPHY

Ok guys been turkey hunting for 5 years and have 3 birds under my belt. I am learning more and more each year. Now I have been reading about conditioning your pot calls and what to do and not to do. Well my favorite go to pot call is a glass that isnt made anymore. The first couple years of hunting I used sandpaper and went back and forth in a line to condition the surface. Is the call going to loose life because I did that? It seams to sound ok but doesnt seem to stay etched for very long before the glass smoothes out and I have to move the stricker. Is the surface shot or is there something I can do different?

Thanks for the info

Murph

trkehunr93

I have a Perfection double glass that is 15+ years old and it sounds great, I have always used sandpaper on it (60 grit).  I go up and down in the same direction.  Do you keep the tip of your striker roughed up as well, I use either 220 grit sandpaper or some box call chalk on the tip.  If not the tip will eventually look like they have been buffed to a shine. 

smurf

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 25, 2011, 03:25:39 PM
I have a Perfection double glass that is 15+ years old and it sounds great, I have always used sandpaper on it (60 grit).  I go up and down in the same direction.  Do you keep the tip of your striker roughed up as well, I use either 220 grit sandpaper or some box call chalk on the tip.  If not the tip will eventually look like they have been buffed to a shine. 
ditto   :welcomeOG:
Glad to see another murphy on here.  Mike Murphy
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

bowhunter84

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 25, 2011, 03:25:39 PM
:agreed: