turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bull gnats

Started by Buzzkiller, April 09, 2015, 11:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzkiller

What is the best ways to keep the bull gnats away?

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Buzzkiller

Thanks for the info. I was told thermacell would not work on gnats. I will be buying a couple now

101st501

I use bug spray with the highest level of deet I can find.

Halfski

I don't know about bull gnats in particular, but a friend of mine uses Absorbine Jr. and he says it works like a charm for gnats.  I will be trying it out this year. 

TRG3

It seems that anywhere around water as it warms up, we get what are called locally as "buffalo gnats". They are not only in the turkey woods but in town as well. These seemed to have showed up in the last 4-5 years. They sound like rain hitting the windshield as you go down the highway. With all of this spring's rains, they are thick and for me a head net and gloves seems to take care of them. If you don't protect yourself from them, they love to get in the hair on the back of your neck and have a feast, leaving whelps!

CASH

Skin So Soft for gnats
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

hoyt

Don't know what kinda gnats they were but one yr and the only time I ever remember gnats of any kind being a problem in South West Central Fl...Greenswamp East WMA particularly were  absolutely almost intolerable.

Nothing I know of actually helped deter them, but everyone at least wore head nets and some used safety goggles to keep them out of their eyes. Little portable fans were used to try and eat more sandwiche  for lunch than gnats.

Dtrkyman

Thermacel does nothing for the gnats in Illinois, buffalo gnats I believe, menthol is supposed to work, listerine and vanilla...I buy a spray called buggins, get it at Menards works absolutely amazing.  I think those suckers like deet!

Buzzkiller

I tried a thermacell today and it does not slow them down at all. 
Tried vanilla  before they love it.

I am feeling bad for the turkeys having to deal with the gnats, they
have killed my chickens before

Bamalimbhanger

Vanilla extract ... I have also used a  spray called no-nats in south alabama ... it works great

Cutt

Quote from: Bamalimbhanger on April 10, 2015, 06:21:22 PM
Vanilla extract ... I have also used a  spray called no-nats in south alabama ... it works great

Is this the stuff here? http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Natz-Bug-Spray-/141630600642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f9d775c2

Would like to get a bottle to keep in the truck, Thanks