Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are any of the lower end push button calls worth even trying?

Started by Chew, April 08, 2015, 01:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chew

I'd like to have a push button call just to keep in my vest in case.

Wondering if any of the big box store brand push button calls are even worth buying?

otis

Chew

Quote from: otis on April 08, 2015, 03:20:54 PM
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Any recommendations for one that doesn't have a multiple month wait list? And is under $100.

chuckward

Loftis Chatterbox or Winky Hicks sweet wild hen. Can be had right now.  Chuck

FL-Boss

I purchased a custom push pin call on ebay..  as tone adjustment, and a push button.  Believe it was under $25.... just search ebay... sounds as good as my best call... 

turkey-slayer

I have a Winky Hicks combo Sweet Wild Hen push button as well as slate call. In my honest opinion it is one of the best push pin calls for the money. It can be had right now for $43.50 Priority Mail tyd. It is easy to use and makes some great hen music. Clucks, purrs and yelps with ease and makes some nice Kee Kees. Just contact Mr. Hicks at #251-231-8086 and he will get it to you.

jordanz7935

Not to hijack this thread, but ive never heard of Winky Hicks but after some quick research i found some info. Looks like a nice unique little pushpin yelper that has a slate "soud board" and  also includes a traditional striker which is a nice option . Guys i may have to try one of his calls out.Anyone got a soundfile of one? I also read that he makes fiddles and other instruments as well and im sure a guy with that experience can build a great sounding call.Good luck let us know what you choose.

turkey-slayer

Mr. Winky Hicks has been building these calls for I believe at least 25 yrs. The pushpin combo caller I got was recent and it was #3033. He knows how to stuff some hen sounds in these callers. He does also have an ear for music because he makes mandolins and banjos for artist all over the country including some that have been on the Grand Old Opry. He is a hoot to talk turkey with.

palongbeard

I must admit that I am a fan of push pin calls.  I have a Shannon Kelley that is in a league of its own but the 2 cost effective great sounding push pin calls that have proven themselves in the field are #1 a Mountain Hollow and a close #2 is a Mill Creek Game Calls push pin.  The last 6 gobblers I killed were closed out with that Mountain Hollow Push Pin.  Just a certain consistent sounding cluck that brings them in close. 

Chew

I picked up a Loftis Chatterbox. This thing is the real deal.

Between Shannon's calls/videos and owning this Loftis I'm a believer in push pins. I'm going to sell a few pots and hopefully get one of Shannon's calls ordered this summer.

Thanks for the advice on the Chatterbox.

outdoorsmen

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.