OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Budget 20 GA

Started by bowmike, April 06, 2015, 03:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

Wondering if anyone has ever built a 20 ga set up. Something I have in my head. I love my 870 12 ga don't get me wrong but it can be a load to carry if going in deep.

Thinking I may look into trying to build one. I don't care if the gun is old or beat up, as I may end up painting it anyway. I am thinking of an 870 but might want to branch out. I want to keep it at about as economical as one can get. My son is little now, but my nephew is 10 and is not a tiny kid by any means. I want to take him out for the youth hunt but don't really want him to use his 410. Might trade one of the guns I have that I don't particularly need right now, and get this set up started.

saw Mossberg has one out that is called a bantam series where it comes with pieces to stretch and shrink the stock. I think it is the 510. I am an 870 fan boy, but this seems like it may be a good gun to look at being that I would want to make it full size if I want to use it, shrink it down for my nephew and son.

What about getting an after markey stock that has a collapsible stock?

What would you suggest for a budget 20 ga.

Thanks,

Mike

Greg Massey

Either one will do the mossberg or 870 express. I just finished building a 20 ga. 870 from a youth model got the gun for 289.00 plus gun check and tax.. The youth model has the 21 in barrel. I put a shurshot stock, sling swivel cap, B square for scope and trulock non- ported tube 565. Adding all of this will cost you around 225.00 more to build a light 20 ga. Shooter with scope.

jordanz7935

I have an 870 20 ga that is my go to 20ga but i bought a little single shot Baikal MP-18 youth 20 ga last spring to "build" into a turkey killer.I had a red dot put on it and am currently having a trigger job done. Next thing is to have it threaded for chokes.Im building it for myself as a lightweight turkey killer, but it'll also be the gun i let youngsters hunt with when i take them hunting.Its a really nice and compact little 20 ga and i like that its hammerless with a safety because that can be a problem for some youngsters to pull the hammer back.I dont think you can get baikals anymore though due to the turmoil with Russia/Ukraine. You might still be able to find them though.I paid $120 for mine new last spring.You cant go wrong with an H&R/NEF single shot 20 ga either though.If you could find a lightly used one im sure it wouldnt cost much @ all. My buddy has one with a 26" Full choke barrel and that thing ptterns great With Federal HW #7s.

magnumgray

I have a Charles daley pump youth model that barely weighs five pounds and is compatible with Rem Chokes ..... fast and lightweight ..... check gunsamerica or gunlist there are usually a few on there a little over $200..... it likes hevi 7's

g8rvet

Another vote for the 870 20 gauge.  Remington full and HW#7 - poison at 30 yards.  Trulock Fed HW choke - 167 in the 10" at 40 yards.  (Daughter is using the more open choke right now and limited to 30 yard shot).  Put a folding monopod on it so she can hold steady for $20 and a fiber optic bead sight for $40.  I would not hesitate to carry it any day.  If you want a gun to grow with a young un, I would not buy that though.  My son shot if for one year at ducks and took over my 12 870.  Dang growth spurt!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

hrpp20

If you think you might like to go the road of familiarity, grab an h&r pardner pump. It is a clone of the 870 express and will take any part made for an 870 except the barrel. I use the compact version which may be perfect for your nephew since the length of pull is an inch longer than the youth frame. Also it comes out of the box drilled and tapped for lots more sight options that you would get from an 870 express. I got mine in a trade for my old 22mag, but I've heard that Walmart has them occasionally for under $200.

m7carroll

I have a h&r 20 that I paid $60 for. $10 in camo paint and Fed HW 7's makes a great 35 yard gun with 3" and 30 yard gun with the 2 3/4. It's lighter than their super bantam but the super bantam with a cheap tightwad choke is a great set up but a little too tight for my boys at 15.

Matt

longislandloco

Quote from: hrpp20 on April 08, 2015, 04:48:59 AM
If you think you might like to go the road of familiarity, grab an h&r pardner pump. It is a clone of the 870 express and will take any part made for an 870 except the barrel. I use the compact version which may be perfect for your nephew since the length of pull is an inch longer than the youth frame. Also it comes out of the box drilled and tapped for lots more sight options that you would get from an 870 express. I got mine in a trade for my old 22mag, but I've heard that Walmart has them occasionally for under $200.

While the H&R is a 870 clone the metallurgy leaves a bit to be desired, barrels are said to be brittle. There was an engineering firm that ran a few test's on barrels, if plugged the 870 split, the H&R shattered like a grenade.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Boydawg

Take a good look at the budget priced over/unders.

surehuntsalot

NEF pump would get my vote at less than 200.00 at wal mart
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

IA_Gobbler

I just bought a 870 Epress with a 26" barrel for $300. I wanted a gun my wife and daughter could both use ( as well as me). So I got a Phoenix Technology stock in Mossy Oak camo, the kit came with the 6 position stock, forend, buttstock shell holder and a tactical sling for $112.99. It works great, as it fits my wife perfectly, and me, my daughter is to young for it yet but will be a great gun for her to grow into. I also put Williams Sight on it and a Carlson Extended Turkey .575 choke in it. I have a total of $450 in it.

Here are a couple of pictures of it

Dtrkyman

gun broker has a pile of 20 guage pumps, saw some model 88 mavericks for under 200

Dtrkyman

heck there is a pardner with a turkey choke for 199

dutch@fx4

I enjoy my mossy 500 in 20g put a luppy 3to9by40 vxr on her she is a deer and turkey killing outfit just change the barrels ,nice and light to carry and very smooth the shoot with the safety on top I works very well with gloves on ,,I have a 870 12g as back up with a rifled slug barrels and a 26inch barrel for turkeys and a 28 for geese ,it gets left at home more now that I have been using the 20g ,
all but one of my guns is blued and wood ,the only gun that I have that has a plastic stock is my coyote rifle ,and it is for bad weather hunting with hounds ,love my wood and blued guns Dutch