turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 and a Stardot

Started by Tony Harris, April 06, 2015, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Harris

I have been trying to get the Longbeards to work in my 870 but they were shooting high. I bought a Williams Firesight set to put on and cleaned the barrel really good like someone on here suggested and it made a difference in grouping POI and grouping size. I think I ended up shooting about 9 times Saturday but was tickled with the outcome. I have been using the Kick's Gobblin Thunder (.655) with Winchester Extended Range #5's and #6's with equally good results. For some reason the Longbeards, in either #5's or #6's did not do as well through it, even tried 3" and 3.5" with no better results. But when I put in the old Stardot (.668) the group tightened up and POI shifted as well. I used 2.75" to get my POA and POI close at 20 yards and then moved back to 40 yards.

I have kept all my pattern targets over the years from Rem Hevi Shot chokes to Kicks, Jellyheads, Stardot, Mad max and a dozen different shot sizes and brands. It is amazing the difference they all make through the same barrel. I will wait until after turkey season to try the 26" barrel and number #6 shot but I am pleased with what I am going into turkey season with. Point of aim on each target was the same, at the bottom of the black. The 9" instead of the standard 10" circle is because I use a paper plate to draw my circle. I centered the Point of impact on each and the Stardot was the one I sighted in with so it is more centered.

I really like the sights. Bought them at Gander Mtn and when I went to put them on there was a screw missing. I called them and they said come by and get one. I told them it was a long ways from home to the store so the guy sent me a screw packet overnight. I was impressed to say the least.

20 yard Kicks

20 yard Stardot

40 yard Kicks

40 yard Stardot

lowoctane

A minor sight adjustment and the Kicks is what I'd hunt!!!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

captin_hook

I like the stardot patterns. That kicks is super tight at 20

10gaugemag

Give me the Star Dot, a lot of flyers in that Kick's 20 yard pattern. Star Dot seems most even to my eye.

learn2hide

StarDot would be a great choice although you can't go wrong either way....good luck :OGturkeyhead:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

surehuntsalot

those stardot patterns will put a hurting on a turkey
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tony Harris

Thanks for the comments and the info in other threads. I put it all to use this past weekend and it left turkeys flopping.