turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Friday Devotional 3/25/2011 Light needed

Started by BOFF, March 25, 2011, 01:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

This past Saturday, after a great past week of hunting, and spending time with my daughter in the woods, we spent time doing other things. I really figured after the successful hunts we had, she would want to go back hunting, but that wasn't the case. She wanted to stay home, watch Barbie movies, rest, and look at her collection of rocks she had gathered from our hunt. She had already taken time to clean each rock individually with an old  tooth brush, and  inspect each one.  I'm thinking when she ask me about showing them to me, oh yeah, let's look at a pile of rocks. This feeling didn't change, especially when I saw we were talking about a BUNCH of rocks,  smaller than a dime, some the size of a pencil eraser, and some smaller.

My daughter had  cleaned each one with my mother's help. As I'm thinking about how I'm feeling about looking at rocks, God begins to speak to me. I begin to think about the efforts it took my mom to share in the experience with my daughter. My mom's vision is poor, and troubling at times to see clearly. Wow, to help clean these small rocks, and individually discuss the characteristics of each one really spoke volumes of her love for my daughter, and the extra efforts it took to do so!!  I immediately was humbled, and convicted of the selfishness I had at the moment. So, I spent time looking and examining, each and every rock laid out on the kitchen table, and the joy and realization I had was quite amazing!! So many things were pointed out to me, besides my selfishness.

Much like the time spent with my daughter, we also learn from our experiences and interactions with others. I learned each rock, which was chipped or in fragments all had rough edges, but each had beautiful insides. All the insides were different, but at the same time, they were the same. Some had sparkles throughout the inside, some were white and pure, some were dark and grainy, but all were covered on the outside with black marks from the tarry driveway, and each had  flecks of minerals which were illuminated with light, after the cleaning.

Some things I learned and focused on.

1) The rocks like ourselves, have rough edges on the outside, and at one time or another , have been broken and fragmented. 

2)Still remaining on the rocks was the tarry remains of the path the rocks were on. Much like the past roads of sin we have traveled, or even been stuck on, sin stains our lives.

3) We all have sin in our life, much like the rocks having tarry sports stuck on them.. 

4)It took individual washing, cleaning, and drying each rock to see its true insides.  It take individual, quality time with others, like my mom exhibited with my daughter, to learn who a person really is on the inside.

5)The rock's minerals can not be illuminated and sparkling with light, until after it is cleaned. Like the rock, we can not be sparkling and shining until we are cleansed with the light (salvation) of Jesus.

John 8:12 (New Living Translation)
Jesus, the Light of the World
12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."

God Bless,
David B.

Duke0002

mmims

RBC

Wow!! That was beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.

Roostem33

Great devotional David, God bless and have a great weekend!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

turkey slayer