OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Saw a huge turkey brawl!

Started by Sixes, November 17, 2018, 06:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

I was hunting deer a couple weeks back at my club and I was watching 2 eight points posturing with about 200 yards between them, they stared at each other for awhile and then started towards one another. The nearest buck stepped off the gas line and began making a scrape and the furthest buck was coming down the edge all bristled and walking sideways ready to fight.

I was just enjoying the upcoming fight when 19 turkeys (hen and this years young ones) came out below the nearest buck. As they closed to him, the buck trotted off into the woods. When the birds saw the other buck, they made straight on mad dash and literally spooked him off the gas line.  They proceeded up to a feeder about 250 yards away and started to feed.

This is where it got interesting. Another flock of 10-12 turkeys (all jakes and a couple of longbeards) came out almost on top of the feeder. All heck broke loose, turkeys were jumping and spurring, hens were strutted and the purrs were so loud, it was like they were on top of me. They were chasing and circling and pecking one another something fierce.

I've never seen anything like that, and to top it off, they all left and none of the birds got any corn.  It was so loud that a buddy of mine hunting the upper part of the gas line about 500 yards from the brawl texted and asked what all that racket was because he could hear the birds thumping each other.

I walked out and there were turkey feathers all over the ground. I should of filmed the fight but was too much in awe watching it unfold.

Sir-diealot

God's kingdom is the best theater with the best shows in town. I would have loved to have had a ticket to that show.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

outdoors

THATS  the  O0  hood for ya man     :TooFunny:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

2eagles

I saw something similar last year. There's a post in the archives about it. Two gangs of jakes and toms lit it up and it was amazing. Gotta love nature!

daddyduke

Sounds like black Friday shopping at Wally World.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.