OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Supernova w/ Old JH .655 LB 3.5" #5s

Started by Hansonc, May 20, 2015, 02:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansonc

Let me preface my write up on my findings from yesterday, by saying I have resisted for the last two years from purchasing Winchester Longbeards, as I have gotten good results with my SX3 and Fed HW #7's. My father wants to go out more next year so I thought I'd begin the patterning  process now (as I have turkey season withdrawal) with the gun he will be using a Supernova with .655 Jellyehad (old version).Yesterday at lunch I saw a box of LB 3.5" #5's on sale at local store and thought what the heck I'll try them and see what the craze is about.

I shot patterns at 25 yds and 40 yds from the standard hunting position and needless to say I was very impressed with the the patterns it put up. At 25 yds I didn't even bother counting as it was very tight, and at 40 yds I got 181 in a 10" pattern. My interesting findings were however that the platform I had my target on was an old wood pallet, and after the 40 yd much of the shot had barely penetrated the wood. Last weekend I tested the Fed HW #7s and that pallet after I was done was splintered to no end. It made me question the penetration ability of the LB at that 40 - 50 yd range.

BandedSpur

Ballistics program shows HW 7s @ 1100 fps to be lethal approx 17 yds further than Pb 5s @ 1200 fps. Can't say what that yardage is because it is beyond 40. Suffice it to say, either is more than capable at 40.