OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: multiple birds in a sitting?  (Read 5265 times)

Offline kjnengr

Re: multiple birds in a sitting?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
On a hunt with limited time, I would.  I have never been able to pass on a mature gobbler and still shoot more than one bird.  I almost always have a friend hunting the same area and I can always double up with him if I shoot early. 

Offline bamahunter

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
I would but that would be a pile of birds here in AL... guess I'd have to get a MS and TN license after that, ha.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
I personally never would. For me it'd never add to personal experience unless I was calling for someone else. My avatar shows my daughters at 10 and 13. Called two birds in first set, we high fived, made some calls, took pics. Twenty minutes later I called 6 more in, my ten year old got her first bird only 40 mins into her first hunt and we never moved. Multiple birds in that kinda setting can't be beat even though these weren't trophy birds

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »
Same sitting, no way.  Same day different hunts, you bet.   I have people get aggravated at me because I won't pull the trigger on my half of a double.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline captin_hook

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 05:21:04 PM »
I would if it were allowed in my state. Due to work, kids sports games and practices, my hunting is limited. If and when I have more time at my disposal, I would probably just kill one just to prolong my season for more enjoyment.

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
no I wouldnt I enjoy turkey hunting too much

Offline Rio Fan

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »
About 5 years ago I had 3 longbeards come in gobbling their heads off.  I killed 2 of them and could've easily killed the 3rd bird if it was legal to do so.  It was a cool experience, but I probably would'nt do it again. 

Last year on opening day I killed one at 7:15 in the morning and then went to a different spot and killed another one at 11:20.  I'd definitely do that again.

Offline Fatbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 11:10:22 PM »
Sure would. Have done it on fall hunts
East TN Beard Buster

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »
No.  For me, spring gobbler hunting is about the hunt, not the kill,....and it is certainly not a body count.  Over the years, I could have filled a couple of pick up trucks with gobblers I could have killed by shooting more than one (legally) at a time.  Have no desire to do that.

Having said that, anybody that feels differently about it,...well, that is fine with me.  I'm just not the type of guy that judges the success,...or quality,...of the hunt by the number of birds that are in the cooler when it is over.

Offline matchbook454

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 09:49:29 PM »
Yep everytime I went out if the option presented itself. Of course I'm out to enjoy the hunt but it all evens itself out. Sometimes you hunt hard for days then tag out others it goes quick. I always say the easy hunt memories get you through tough hunts remembering how quick it can happen and just keep after em.

Well put!

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 12:28:54 AM »
Yes. Then I would move on to the next state quicker or just go catch more crappie.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:35 AM »
In Iowa we have 4 seasons in the spring. You can only get 2 tags and one of them has to be for the 4th season(unless you buy archery only tags). Unless you get 2 tags for the 4th season, you can only shoot one bird per day/season. If you shoot your bird opening morning of 1st season(starts 4/13 this year), you have to wait until 4th season(starts 4/29)  before you can hunt again...unless you are calling for somebody else.

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
About three years ago called in a monster 26.5 lb bird that was traveling with a 20 lb Tom.  I was set up against an old round bale next to a creek but there was some light brush between me and where the  birds ended up, about 30 yds  from me....I took my clearest shot at the big one and dropped him flopping with a 3 1/2 mag blend.  I sat still to see what the other bird did...He ran off about 10 yards and stopped. Meantime the flopping Tom started to get up to my surprise.....just as I got my gun back up to finish him the 2nd bird rushed him and the follow up shot killed them both.

And that's when I found out God created other states.

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »
I would on a nr hunt but not here at home.  I tagged out in 4 or 5 days one time, made fore a boring next 3 weeks. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.