OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hearing protection?  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Gutsdozer

Hearing protection?
« on: March 24, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »
Hello all,

Let me start by saying my hearing isn't the greatest anyway. I was looking for affordable hearing protection that doesn't break the bank. I bought a pair of muffs last year and they were a bit to staticy for me and a bit uncomfortable. Then again I only paid like $30 for them. Unfortunately I am still on a tight budget but I also don't want to loose what hearing I have left...

Anyone have any suggestion and experience in this area?

Online WAGinVA

Re: Hearing protection?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
Strongly suggest you look at electronic hearing protection (full shell in the ear).  I am 61 yo, have significant high frequency hearing loss and can not turkey hunt without my "electric ears".  They are not cheap but I would pay a huge amount to have normal hearing back and want to do anything possible to protect what I have left.  My loss is due to operating farm equipment for years with no hearing protection in place.  I did hunt until I was 45 without hearing protection but I feel like the constant noise of equipment is the larger source of my loss.  Look into ESP, EAR or Starkey hearing protection.  If you go with digital devices they can be tuned to your current hearing loss so that you get better hearing AND protection at the same time.  Be prepared for sticker shock but keep in mind no amount of money will buy back lost hearing.  PM me if you would like additional info.  Starkey was the first manufacturer to offer electronic in the ear hearing protection and I bought them as soon as they were available (about 16 years ago) and have had a pair of ESP digitals for the last 4 years.

Offline Gutsdozer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 07:22:21 AM »
Strongly suggest you look at electronic hearing protection (full shell in the ear).  I am 61 yo, have significant high frequency hearing loss and can not turkey hunt without my "electric ears".  They are not cheap but I would pay a huge amount to have normal hearing back and want to do anything possible to protect what I have left.  My loss is due to operating farm equipment for years with no hearing protection in place.  I did hunt until I was 45 without hearing protection but I feel like the constant noise of equipment is the larger source of my loss.  Look into ESP, EAR or Starkey hearing protection.  If you go with digital devices they can be tuned to your current hearing loss so that you get better hearing AND protection at the same time.  Be prepared for sticker shock but keep in mind no amount of money will buy back lost hearing.  PM me if you would like additional info.  Starkey was the first manufacturer to offer electronic in the ear hearing protection and I bought them as soon as they were available (about 16 years ago) and have had a pair of ESP digitals for the last 4 years.

Yea I have seen some pretty expensive hearing protection. Things like the custom sport ear type protection.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »
Allen Sound Sensors work. Sounds are muffled slightly until you shoot. The noise of the gun is much reduced.