News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE II + Sumtoy .650 + Hevi #7s = Nice!

Started by Cut N Run, March 23, 2015, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01Foreman400

Very nice pattern.   :drool: 

The pellet count in that load should be around 556.  You have 547 total inside the 20".  Looks like more outside the 20".  How many hit outside the 20"? 
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Those are more like the numbers I would have liked to get out of my M3500 + Sumtoy .650...Maybe I need to drop from #6 3.5in to #7 3in. Just not to confident in the knock down power of the #7 at 40+

the Ward

GADZOOKS that's gonna put a hurtin' on ole Mr Tom!!!      :drool:

chatterbox

Quote from: aaron.haverfield@gmail.co on March 25, 2015, 10:55:40 AM
Those are more like the numbers I would have liked to get out of my M3500 + Sumtoy .650...Maybe I need to drop from #6 3.5in to #7 3in. Just not to confident in the knock down power of the #7 at 40+
no need to worry about that. The last 2 birds i shot with Hevi-13 3-2-7's flipped over backwards like they were hit with a sledgehammer.
Great shell!

Cut N Run

Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 25, 2015, 09:19:42 AM
Very nice pattern.   :drool: 

The pellet count in that load should be around 556.  You have 547 total inside the 20".  Looks like more outside the 20".  How many hit outside the 20"?

I held the target up to light and counted again.  It looks like 6  I counted as hits were actually dark freckles in the paper and not pellet holes. There are 18 pellet holes outside the 20 inch ring.  I have a couple more targets that the pattern was as good or better, but because the red dot wasn't zeroed, the point of aim was different from the point of impact and they didn't come close to center.  I'll dig some of them out of the recycle bin and post some pictures of them later.

The board we shoot is a 40 yard shot measured with a laser. I'm really surprised and stoked how great this combination shoots.  The pattern must be about baseball sized at 15 yards and I'm sure it will hold up out to 50 yards quite nicely.  In all the years I've been hunting turkeys I've never shot one over 40 yards, never considered it.  It is nice to know the gun, choke, & ammo are so capable.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mudhen

Quote from: aaron.haverfield@gmail.co on March 25, 2015, 10:55:40 AM
Just not to confident in the knock down power of the #7 at 40+

This....

The 13 g/cc load had/has 508+- pellets...just hand counted 506...

The 12 g/cc has 50 more pellets, that are now lighter than before...

I love the way the 7's pattern, but I've had enough soft hits to prefer 6's...

But I'm also quite sure that out to 35-40 yards, it's no big deal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Cut N Run

Here's a few more pictures from Monday's target practice.  All were shot with 3 inch Hevi #7s through my SBE II and a Sumtoy .650 at a laser measured distance of 40 yards.  I didn't add the 20 inch ring to these. I marked the tightest pattern. For reference the paper is 28 inches square.  Those turkeys had best watch their step.

Jim

Full strut

How long of a barrel do you have on your sbe2? I've been happy with my .655 RR choke but there is always room for improvement  :funnyturkey:

Cut N Run

Quote from: Full strut on March 27, 2015, 02:13:00 PM
How long of a barrel do you have on your sbe2? I've been happy with my .655 RR choke but there is always room for improvement  :funnyturkey:

MY SBE II barrel is 26" long.  I hunted with a TruGlo SSX in that gun for the past four years, but decided to change when it started to show a slight bulge.  That SumToy has proven to be better than I hoped it would.  Good luck whatever you go with.

Jim

Nate K

Awesome pattern man! Have you tried the hevi shot #6's with that gun and choke?

BINK McCARTY

I got very similar results from a Rob Roberts .650/ h-13 #7 @ 40 yds. = 336 in a 10" circle...my ONLY COMPLAINT. I was seeing that the pellets were only penetrating about half way into the particle board @ 40 yds...you think its anything to be concerned with @ 50 -60 yds????

Strick9

There is no replacement for displacement and to add there is no such thing as to much overkill.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Cut N Run

Quote from: Nate K on March 30, 2015, 02:50:59 PM
Awesome pattern man! Have you tried the hevi shot #6's with that gun and choke?

Yes.  The #6s do pretty well out of that combo too.  I obviously didn't get the coverage with #6s that I did with #7s, but it would definitely hunt.

My old choke was a TruGlo SSX .643 and it shot Hevi 6s great!  Either Hevi 6s or 7s are what makes that gun happiest.  All I need now is to get time off work to hunt and for a gobbler to come in range.

Jim

bcknuts

Kevin

kdsberman

Wow that is one well balanced pattern right there.  Those guys at Sumtoy really know how to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk