turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wingbone Calls- gobbler or hen bone?

Started by TANK, March 23, 2011, 10:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

I use Wingbones ALOT, and was wondering what the fellers on here like better Gobbler Bones or Hen Bones? I will not take a call made out of Gobbler Bones in the woods. They are too course sounding to me. All my mouth pieces are from Hen Bones, they have the hen tone. I have yelpers that are made from both gobbler & hen bones. I've seen people selling bone yelpers made out of wild gobbler bones, or domestic turkey bones     (Butterball).  What do yall use?

mmims

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Austy

Hen bones for me as well if I plan to use it to hunt with.  I do on a fairly regular basis save my gobbler bones and make a call out of them, more just for show than anything.  I personally think the holes in these bones are too big to make the proper sound that I want but they do make a nice conversation piece and a reminder of a great successful hunt.  After all that's what this addiction is all about!!!!

decoykrvr

You can use them all and make them work.  For the top, mouth piece, of the striker if you don't have a hen radius bone, simply take the radius of a jake or gobbler and add permanent adhesive such as JB Weld or even better Apoxie Sculpt (both two part epoxies) into the hollow of the bone about 1/2" and let it set for 24 hours.  Take a 3/32" drill bit and drill out the suction hole.  It is the 3/32" suction hole which is the key which is why hen radius bones work so well.  You can use a Dremel tool and various abrasive attachments in combination w/ fine files such as chain saw files to thin the ulna (which you don't normally need to do except to make the bones fit and seat better) and the humerous which can be cleaned and thinned to produce a clearer more resonate sound.  I prefer the external diameter of the radius from a jake or gobbler and they make a more substantial, less fragile, yelper.
Craig