turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommendations

Started by TauntoHawk, March 21, 2015, 08:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Anyone have a couple of recommendations, I really want to give scratch boxes a go.

I got ahold of basehores wife and I'm gonna stop by his shop when he gets back from guiding in FL.

Heard shadetree has a good one

I love Al shoemakers boxes

Outside of that, specific wood combos I should consider??
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hunter22

Lamar Williams grandson, Tate, is making a great scratch box. So does Bill Lyman on here.

ElkTurkMan

Beard hunter cedar or SS Custom Calls Paudunk  & butternut both are pure turkey

mgm1955

Give the SS boys a call and they'll run some for you.

Bowguy

I'm not overly versed in scratch boxes but I've been running calls of all sorts for 35 years. Maybe that helped. I talked to Al from SS, he recommended a butternut soundboard. It runs easy and sounds great. I actually ordered another scratch box from him and am awaiting it's arrival.
Now saying I'm having fun with the call and finding its use easy may not be real good info since I do run so many calls. Friday my 15 year old daughter came up, ran it maybe ten minutes. We went Saturday to a calling clinic, instructors were coming over not to offer advice but to watch her run the call. They couldn't believe she was playing it so well. Ok so the retired fish and game directors wife came over n watched. We let her try, first attempt and she played it. At a party last night, everyone from non turkey hunters to kids were able to at least yelp, cluck and purr on it. If that ain't difinitive proof at how easy that call runs I'm not sure what is.

Spitten and drummen

I have a Alaskan yellow cedar from scott basehore that sounds better than any I have ever played. the birds agreed with me by their reaction.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

silverspur

Scott Basehore makes a real good one, I have one in all cedar and I am more than pleased with it.  The Super Yelper by Richard Shively is not bad either.  You can not go wrong with any of the above suggestions either, those are all top notch callmkers!
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Matt k

Quote from: hunter22 on March 21, 2015, 09:07:37 PM
Lamar Williams grandson, Tate, is making a great scratch box. So does Bill Lyman on here.

I have a couple from Tate and they sound good, can't go wrong with him.

TauntoHawk

Thank you guys soo much for all the help, for the sake of time I might go to Midwest they have an SS butternut/ paduak and a walnut super yelped in stock that I can get quick and I have a phone call into basehore so when he returns from Fl I'm gonna stop by his shop in person.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BowBendr

Get ahold of Spring Creek on this forum and get you a curly maple scratcher with a cherry striker.
Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, Mikes scratchers are some of the best i've heard...
Check out SavDucks sound clip of it in the sound file / youtube forum.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: BowBendr on March 26, 2015, 06:54:41 PM
Get ahold of Spring Creek on this forum and get you a curly maple scratcher with a cherry striker.
Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, Mikes scratchers are some of the best i've heard...
Check out SavDucks sound clip of it in the sound file / youtube forum.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

This is the truth...I can't quit buying Mike's scratchers, they are amazing and you can't beat the price...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

gobbler336

Give tom crook of Mississippi scratch boxes a call, real nice guy and his mahagony is ridiculously easy and about as natural soundung a call as there is. I run my mahogany on a cedar striker.

zelmo1

I had a great experience with  Spring Creek Calls. I will buy from them again. Al Baker