OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 SM, .662 Hevi-Shot, longbeards

Started by laker, March 21, 2015, 08:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laker

Managed to pattern my 870 SM today. I am running a .662 HeviShot choke and shooting 3.5" longbeard #5s. Gun has a 26" barrel and I also have installed TRUGLO Magnum Gobble dot sights. Pattern is at a stepped off 40 yards. Temperature was 64*.
Getting between 160-180 in a 10" circle.
Let me know what you think. I counted this pattern twice and came up with 174.

laker

This is a picture of the gun doing the shooting.

captin_hook

drum817

Have fun have hunting!!! Looks fine!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Dr Juice

I would make a slight adjustment to make sure the POA and POI are exactly in line. Good luck.

laker

mlisandro, i shot it at 15 and it was dead on, you think this slight movement to the right could have been a little movement on my part or do you believe the POI is off? By the time of this shot i had about 5-6 shells down range and my shoulder was beginning to feel the effects.  ;D

Dr Juice

If you were dead on at 15-yards, I would leave it alone since it was more likely you enduring the punishment of pump gun. Good luck.

10gaugemag

Wait a few days then get back out and try at 30 yards or so. I wouldn't move a thing until I shot a minimum of 2 more shots to verify where the gun was really hitting.

drum817

Quote from: 10gaugemag on March 23, 2015, 08:41:41 AM
Wait a few days then get back out and try at 30 yards or so. I wouldn't move a thing until I shot a minimum of 2 more shots to verify where the gun was really hitting.
.    ^^^this^^^
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Chilly

Pretty much the same results I'm getting.  Mine is a 28" with the same choke and load.  I did have my forcing cones cut by Rob Roberts.  Mine shot 184 just yesterday.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Leebob

I just tried 3.5" LB #5's in my SX2 with a Hevi-shot .664 and got identical results as you. I was very pleased.

laker

Good to hear that these shells seem to run consistently from other people.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life