OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Conditioning a crystal surface

Started by Jourdan_D, March 23, 2011, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jourdan_D

Have a new call coming in and i've never had a cyrstal surface or a glass for that matter before.  Are there any tricks to condition the surface and maintain it? For example, what size grit?

Thanks,
David

drum817

I use the conditioning stone on a primos slick stick.   Just be sure to only scratch /condition the call in one direction....do not go in circles.  You will probaly want to condition it for 10-15 mins to start with.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

drum817

OH...one more thing...be sure to condition the call in the direction that the wood grain is running.  You can condition half the call or just a small place.  Here are two examples....Hope this helps.

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

pappy

On crystal or glass use either the prioms stick or if you have access to a sporting goods store find you a Smith's Diamond Hook sharpener....here is a site where you can see what I am talking about, I got mine at Walmart....and go left to right, it is a great idea to run with the grain of the wood for easy reference in the field...pappy
http://outdoor-living.hardwarestore.com/56-325-knife-accessories.aspx
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Mossy517

Will using an etching cream be as affective as usings a conditioning stone or sand paper?

I am building a few calls from "kits" from brookside and I do have some etchnig cream. I have seen a few guys reference using it, but i was just wandering if it worked as well?
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

pappy

Hey big guy, if you use etching creme it is messy and you have to apply it at least a couple times for a good surface, I used it to put names on the surface for the customer and tried it for conditioning half the surface, but in my opinion, and this is mine, I don't use it anymore except for decorations. But, it is up to you, I will just condition with diamond wheels...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

misfire

I use etching cream acid on all my glass and crystal calls just to START the conditioning process. THen take 150gr sandpaper and rub it in ONE direction only. If you rub back and forth you are defeating the purpose as all you do is push the glass particles back into the grooves you are wanting to create.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Mossy517

Thanks for the help. I think I will do just that, use it to get started and finish uo with 150 grit.

:thanks:
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

Jourdan_D

Thanks guys for all the info!!

Misfire - cant wait to put your call to use :)

RaspyD

Etched!  For some reason the etching seems to bring out a little more life in the call vs. sanding or bead blasted glass.
Perfection Turkey Calls

Fox Fire

Gotta ask...whats the reason to go with the wood grain ?

Snoody Bastid

^ I was wondering the same thing...

Jourdan_D

Quote from: pappy on March 23, 2011, 10:05:48 PM
go left to right, it is a great idea to run with the grain of the wood for easy reference in the field...pappy
http://outdoor-living.hardwarestore.com/56-325-knife-accessories.aspx

This ^

Snoody Bastid