OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any tips for making a tube call?

Started by Marc, March 15, 2015, 09:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have made some tube calls in the past, using pill bottles and other assorted tubular items, and latex from a latex glove...

I am guessing that with better material, I might be able to make a better call...

Any tips on materials (such as a latex source), or what type of material and the diameter of opening that works best for making a decent tube call...

Any information would be appreciated.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

pappy

First and foremost, it isn't necessarily the call but the caller. As tubes are made from everything. If you are wanting to make one that would be special to you, or to commemorate a hunt that is a very different matter, choosing materials is as broad as the sky is measured from the east to the west. Wood choices, use dense woods, length, the longer then  more directional, the latex reed I use theraband materials which are a lot stronger then latex from gloves. If you want you can call me @ 15733808206 today and we will talk. Always glad to help out, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Marc

Pappy,

Thank you for the kind reply...

I will likely give you a call at some point (sometime between work and kids)...

How much effect does the material of the tube itself have on the sound of the call, and how much effect does the thickness (or type) of latex have?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

pappy

As far as material for the tube, density is important....but to a point. As you could always seal the inside of the call. This is where the resonating effect remains the most important aspect of the call. So, material choices is not as important when it comes to the tube body itself, just remember to keep the inside sealed as well as possible. Now wall thickness, I have seen tubes made from plastic with wall thickness near 1/8th of an inch, the metallic snuff can calls had a wall thickness of less the 1/16th of an inch, both calls made great turkey sounds, when it comes to wooden tubes, you can go as thin as you feel comfortable with when turning the call on your lathe. Sound wise, well that is a whole new game, I suppose if you got thin enough you create a vibrato problem, who knows, I would not concern myself with wall thickness other then for turning reasons.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206