OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot Call ?

Started by drmarc, March 23, 2011, 01:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmarc

Newbie question here. In as far as the design of pot calls go, what does having a second surface/soundboard do for sound vs a single surface call?

Thanks in advance..
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."   Thomas Jefferson

drmarc

I notice some just use a "soundboard" of a different material than the striker side and do not have access to it on the bottom, like say copper over glass. Does this arrangement provide a different or beneficial sound over a single surface without a "soundboard"?

Did I make sense??  :)

Thanks again.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."   Thomas Jefferson

lightsoutcalls

In my pot design, if I don't use a soundboard, I don't get a breakover in the yelp.  I know this from gluing calls up turned for a soundboard, but simply forgot to put them in.... DOH!
As for double sided calls, the ones I have turned use the soundboard for the under-surface of the call.  I have yet to get a consistent breaking yelp from the under-surface of a call.  I'm certainly not saying it can't be done, just that mine don't.  I really prefer to focus on the calls that I know work, work well and work well consistently.  I'll turn a double sided call, but I will tell the buyer that he will get single note yelps from the under-surface.

Hope that helps...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

pappy

I agree with Wendell on this, my pots that I turn ofr dual purpose are easily accessed and I tell the buyer upfront that the soundboard is a single noted extra for purrrs, clucks or single yelps, they are not designed to take away from the surface of the primary. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

drmarc

Crutch

Seems like they would be useful if you felt you needed to switch voices, if you know what I mean. You could move to a different spot on the slate, however switching and clucking on the sound board might sound more like a totally different bird, fooling the tom into thinking there are two hens in front of him.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble: