North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you identify special wood?

Started by .308, March 23, 2011, 12:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it possible to look at a log and tell if the wood will be spalted, curly, quilted, or anything else that makes it desirable?  I come across lots of downed trees - especially osage and hackberry and I would love to be able to get some of the better logs if it is identifiable prior to splitting or halfing the log. 

Thanks,
Chris

lightsoutcalls

Many times you can see spalting from the end grain of the log.  This will also give you some idea of how solid the wood is.  Spalting is basically the beginning process of rotting. 
I have seen some maple trees where the bark was removed that you could tell would be curly.  There was a "ripple" look to the actual wood on the outside of the log.  Most crotch pieces of wood will contain "some" level of figuring, but you can't be assured it will be extreme until you cut into it and see the inside.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

smurf

If you're running across osage grab it.  Even if you don't use it --it is good trading material.  Spalted osage is probable pretty rare but you can find some great figuring in it to make it worth your while.   Hackberry just throw the logs out back for a couple of years and you'll get your spalting, worm holes, and everything else. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.