OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble

Started by TANK, March 13, 2015, 11:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nasty

My 11-87 is the turkey model, with the shurshot stock, 23" barrel, and shoots 3.5" shells. The gun has a rear and front adjustable sights that are similar to rifle sights. Currently I am shooting 3.5" Nitros with a Jellyhead choke that the owner of Nitro recommend I try. I've killed four turkeys with this combination, and I've hit every single one of them low and to the left. The Nitros are absolutely the most destructive shell I've ever shot a turkey with but my problem is that the majority of my pellets are hitting the body of the turkey. In two of the last four kills, it has practically ruined the breast. I believe part of my problem is that I'm naturally aiming a little low because of a fear of shooting over the turkey.

My question is: do I need to continue to try and adjust the sights I have now? Try to consciously make myself aim higher? Try another load of shells? Try one of these holographic sights like a Burris speed dot or an EOTech?

My confidence is high in my shell/choke combination right now because of killing a few turkeys with it. I just want the turkey's head to be bloodier instead of his breast.

Bigfoot

I don't know if this still applies but I bought that same gun new somewhere in the early nineties. It shot about 8 inches low. I called Remington and they told me to send it back and they would look at it.  They fixed it and sent a pattern along with it. Not sure what they did but it shot perfectly after that. It might be worth a try to contact Remington

mikejd

I am a bead guy myself over sights so I would play with choke and she'll combos until I found the best option. Although that mag cost fore then a fff3 in the end.