OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble  (Read 8633 times)

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »
I found a new in the box Rem 11-87 in the Mossy Oak Greenleaf pattern at a pawn shop. It has the 21 inch barrel. I have shot it with a pattern master and a factory super full with differnt brands and shot sizes and every shot it hits low. I notice that it has a small brass bead and a larger white one. Is it a trick to how I should line them up? I have been shooting it like a normal gun. Any suggestions without a scope, red dot, or try glo........Thnanks

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
I had to form a figure eight with mine, brass bead on the lower side of the white. i purchased some Tru Glo Magnum Gobble dot sights and have not looked back.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline jwhunter

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
i have a Remington 11-87 in trebark. it has the same beads as your describing. one white and one brass. mine does shoot low and to the right a little. i am going to put new site on it soon. but i can still hunt with it. just compensate for the shot

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
I have both the Trebark and the Greenleaf 1187's w/21" barrels and I installed Williams FireSights on both of them.  I shoot the Hevi-13 .662/3" Mag Blends with the Trebark and Patternmaster Code Black Turkey .665/3" Hevi #6's with the Greenleaf.  They both throw nasty 40 yard patterns. So put some after market sights on it and you're good to go!

Offline msgobblergetter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
In every remington 870 and 1187 owners manual ive ever read,  it says barrels with mid-beads you must form a figure 8 with the mid bead below the end bead. If you don't, it will shoot low.

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 07:57:44 PM »
I have always been able to adjust the up and down with double beads. Tighter beads when it shoots high and figure 8 or even a slight space if it's shooting low. My beretta shotguns are like that when I was shooting double beads. Slight space to make them shoot correct. Shooting left or right is when I had to add Tru Glo Magnum all-metal adjustable sights. Easy fix.

Offline Gobbler2577

Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »
I hate you're having trouble so I'll buy if from you and you can go buy one that'll shoot straight. 

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
I have the same exact gun and installed a saddle mount base and a Simmons ProDiamond scope (4X) because of the same issue. It's a killing machine and I nevered looked back. A photo of it is in my profile picture. Good luck.

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
I have the same exact gun and installed a saddle mount base and a Simmons ProDiamond scope (4X) because of the same issue. It's a killing machine and I nevered looked back. A photo of it is in my profile picture. Good luck.
What choke and load are you shooting in it?

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
I hate you're having trouble so I'll buy if from you and you can go buy one that'll shoot straight.
Lol it's not for sale......yet

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
Thanks guys for all of the advice!
I have shot more chokes/loads through it and everything is the same. I called remington up and of course they want me to send it in. The Tru Glo option is looking pretty good now......lol

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
I had to form a figure eight with mine, brass bead on the lower side of the white. i purchased some Tru Glo Magnum Gobble dot sights and have not looked back.

Ridge Rooster
I have purchased a set of the sights like yours. Where did you place the rear sight on the rib?

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 03:47:53 PM »
Drop the coin on a nice Bushnell TRS25, it can be had for less than 100 bucks on sale and is probably the best optic you can toss on a turkey rig in that price range. I have one on my 835 and 870 SM and they have taken a beating and never lose their zero.

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »

Ridge Rooster
I have purchased a set of the sights like yours. Where did you place the rear sight on the rib?
I have the same gun Tank and I mounted my rear sight just behind the middle bead on the rib.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 03:13:42 AM »
I found a new in the box Rem 11-87 in the Mossy Oak Greenleaf pattern at a pawn shop. It has the 21 inch barrel. I have shot it with a pattern master and a factory super full with differnt brands and shot sizes and every shot it hits low. I notice that it has a small brass bead and a larger white one. Is it a trick to how I should line them up? I have been shooting it like a normal gun. Any suggestions without a scope, red dot, or try glo........Thnanks
Ifn you want to make the investment look into the Burris SpeedBead....I put one on my SBE2 and have to say its...fantastic.