OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble  (Read 5495 times)

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »
I found a new in the box Rem 11-87 in the Mossy Oak Greenleaf pattern at a pawn shop. It has the 21 inch barrel. I have shot it with a pattern master and a factory super full with differnt brands and shot sizes and every shot it hits low. I notice that it has a small brass bead and a larger white one. Is it a trick to how I should line them up? I have been shooting it like a normal gun. Any suggestions without a scope, red dot, or try glo........Thnanks

Offline Ridge Rooster

Re: Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
I had to form a figure eight with mine, brass bead on the lower side of the white. i purchased some Tru Glo Magnum Gobble dot sights and have not looked back.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline jwhunter

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
i have a Remington 11-87 in trebark. it has the same beads as your describing. one white and one brass. mine does shoot low and to the right a little. i am going to put new site on it soon. but i can still hunt with it. just compensate for the shot

Offline SKFOOTER

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
I have both the Trebark and the Greenleaf 1187's w/21" barrels and I installed Williams FireSights on both of them.  I shoot the Hevi-13 .662/3" Mag Blends with the Trebark and Patternmaster Code Black Turkey .665/3" Hevi #6's with the Greenleaf.  They both throw nasty 40 yard patterns. So put some after market sights on it and you're good to go!

Offline msgobblergetter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
In every remington 870 and 1187 owners manual ive ever read,  it says barrels with mid-beads you must form a figure 8 with the mid bead below the end bead. If you don't, it will shoot low.

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 07:57:44 PM »
I have always been able to adjust the up and down with double beads. Tighter beads when it shoots high and figure 8 or even a slight space if it's shooting low. My beretta shotguns are like that when I was shooting double beads. Slight space to make them shoot correct. Shooting left or right is when I had to add Tru Glo Magnum all-metal adjustable sights. Easy fix.

Offline Gobbler2577

• 2018 SITE SUPPORTER
Rem 11-87 SP Mossy Oak Greenleaf trouble
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »
I hate you're having trouble so I'll buy if from you and you can go buy one that'll shoot straight. 

Offline Dr Juice

• 2018 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
I have the same exact gun and installed a saddle mount base and a Simmons ProDiamond scope (4X) because of the same issue. It's a killing machine and I nevered looked back. A photo of it is in my profile picture. Good luck.

Offline SKFOOTER

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
I have the same exact gun and installed a saddle mount base and a Simmons ProDiamond scope (4X) because of the same issue. It's a killing machine and I nevered looked back. A photo of it is in my profile picture. Good luck.
What choke and load are you shooting in it?

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
I hate you're having trouble so I'll buy if from you and you can go buy one that'll shoot straight.
Lol it's not for sale......yet

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
Thanks guys for all of the advice!
I have shot more chokes/loads through it and everything is the same. I called remington up and of course they want me to send it in. The Tru Glo option is looking pretty good now......lol

Offline TANK

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Colyell, Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
I had to form a figure eight with mine, brass bead on the lower side of the white. i purchased some Tru Glo Magnum Gobble dot sights and have not looked back.

Ridge Rooster
I have purchased a set of the sights like yours. Where did you place the rear sight on the rib?

Offline Philippe

• 2018 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 03:47:53 PM »
Drop the coin on a nice Bushnell TRS25, it can be had for less than 100 bucks on sale and is probably the best optic you can toss on a turkey rig in that price range. I have one on my 835 and 870 SM and they have taken a beating and never lose their zero.

Offline SKFOOTER

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »

Ridge Rooster
I have purchased a set of the sights like yours. Where did you place the rear sight on the rib?
I have the same gun Tank and I mounted my rear sight just behind the middle bead on the rib.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 03:13:42 AM »
I found a new in the box Rem 11-87 in the Mossy Oak Greenleaf pattern at a pawn shop. It has the 21 inch barrel. I have shot it with a pattern master and a factory super full with differnt brands and shot sizes and every shot it hits low. I notice that it has a small brass bead and a larger white one. Is it a trick to how I should line them up? I have been shooting it like a normal gun. Any suggestions without a scope, red dot, or try glo........Thnanks
Ifn you want to make the investment look into the Burris SpeedBead....I put one on my SBE2 and have to say its...fantastic.