Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Top Brands Tested, VersaMax 22 inch, .660 sumtoy/Stock Choke

Started by jason5.9, March 04, 2015, 05:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason5.9

Finally the weather broke long enough for me to try out some of these turkey loads in somewhat spring conditions. 
Using 22" VersaMax Sportsman, 57 degrees, 40 yards, 10 inch circle.  I will attach images if requested but there are alot of rounds tried here in order from top performer to least desirable:

Hevishot, Magnum Blend, 3.5, 5/6/7, 2.25 oz - Stock Choke = 284 hits
Winchester LB, 3.5, #6, 2 oz - Stock Choke = 283 hits
Winchester LB, 3.5, #6, 2 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 231 hits
Hevishot, Magnum Blend, 3.5, 5/6/7, 2.25 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 231 hits
Winchester LB, 3.5, #5, 2 oz - Stock Choke = 190 hits
Winchester LB, 3.5, #5, 2 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 189 hits
Kents Ultimate Diamond, 3.5, #6, 2.25 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 187 hits
Winchester XR, 3 inch, #5, 2 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 156 hits
Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads, 3.5, #4, 2.25 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 149 hits
Remington Nitro Turkey, 3.5, #6, 2 oz - Stock Choke = 146 hits
Federal 3rd Degree, 3.5, 5/6/7, 2.25 - Sumtoy .660 = 139 hits
Kents Ultimate Diamond, 3.5, #6, 2.25 oz - Stock Choke = 127 hits
Remington Nitro Turkey, 3.5, #6, 2 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 126 hits
Federal 3rd Degree, 3.5, 5/6/7, 2.25 - Stock Choke = 123 hits
Hevishot Hevi 13, 3 Inch, #6, 2 oz - Sumtoy .660 = 116 hits
Remington Nitro Turkey, 3.5, #5, 2 oz - Stock Choke = 108 hits

So as you see I have spent alot of time counting shot today, and organizing this into something somewhat comprehendible.  According to my shots today I will be hunting with the stock choke, and Hevi Mag Blend until I run out, then switching to LB#6.  I found no significant benefit to using the Sumtoy Choke over the stock choke other than in the Kents Ultimate Diamond Loads.  Finally, the Federal 3rd Degree severely underperformed according to their claims.  Maybe I just dont get it or I am getting it wrong but I was disappointed in them.

Looking closely at my pattern papers all of these loads would have killed a bird, but those toward the bottom probably would have suffered for some time before the die. 

Twowithone

Thanks for all the shooting Ill stick to my LB#6 shot hasn't let me down yet. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

fountain2

I told you in your last post about the blends and stock choke that you will be hard pressed to outshoot that factory choke the way it was shooting.  That's pretty dang good with the factory choke

Gobble!

Surprising results! Send that SumToy back and get 2 more boxes of Mag Blends  :z-guntootsmiley:

owlhoot

Those versa-max sure perform well. Some very nice patterns.

K9Doc

Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

SumToy

yup send it to us we refund or open choke up to bigger one.   :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

K9Doc

Quote from: SumToy on March 05, 2015, 07:42:46 AM
That's called Customer Service.
Awesome!!!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

jordanz7935

Quote from: SumToy on Today at 07:42:46 AM
That's called Customer Service.
Awesome!!!
X2!! You cant beat a sumtoy!

jason5.9

Oh yeah, sumtoy has been great to work with.  My dad looked at the patterns and said I should hunt with the LB 5s because "not so much of what's inside the 10 inch circle but everything around it".

I like those mag blends though...

turkey buster

2 great points in the post.
First being that gun is a killer with any combo listed provided poa/poi was good
Second is that Sumtoy stands by their product 110% and has great customer service

I held that same gun yesterday but at $1200 out the door I gently set it back down. Great shooter you have there

msgobblergetter

What are you calling "stock choke"? What is the constriction?

Ihuntoldschool

The Remington ProBore turkey choke is constricted at .675