OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotion - Wednesday - 3/23/11 - What the...???

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 23, 2011, 10:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Have you ever had one of those times when you responded to a situation in a way that you later asked "where did that come from?"  I'm talking about one of those responses you wouldn't want your mom or your kids to know about?  Maybe it's just me, but I suspect I am not alone here...
God gives grace for those kinds of situations, thankfully.  The apostle Paul gave us some good insight into where these kind of responses come from in Galatians 5.  To over-simplify, basically what is inside us comes out.  Lets take a look:

Galatians 5:16-26 (New Living Translation)

Living by the Spirit's Power
16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses.
19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives. 26 Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.

Take the time to re-read verses 19-21.  Notice that the writer lumps things like anger, envy and jealousy in with things like sexual imorrality, idolatry and sorcery.  This should help remind us that "sin is sin" and there are no shades of gray or levels of wrong-doing.  It's hard for our mind to comprehend that telling a "little white lie" or "venting" when someone ticks us off carries the same weight and penalty as sleeping with the neighbor's wife...  To borrow a line from Frank Barrone (Everybody Loves Raymond) "Holy Crap!" 

So, what's a guy to do?  Go back and read verses 22-25.  Take time to pray and be intentional about how you view daily life, the situations you might run into and what place you give the Holy Spirit in your day.  God gave us a way to avoid our natural, human, negative responses.  He knows we are going to blow it sometimes.  For those times He provides grace.  His desire for us is to live each moment as close to Him as possible.  When we do that, those times that we blow it will become fewer and farther between, and when we do mess up, we will know He is there to help us get through it and learn from it.
Have a blessed day!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mmims

RBC

Quote from: mmims on March 23, 2011, 11:30:41 AM
Good Devotional Wendell!

Mike

Nope, that was a GREAT devotional.
Thanks for sharing.

BOFF

Thanks Wendell,

I blew it Saturday with my daughter watching. No words said, but huffing loudly, tone of voice, and actions spoke louder, as I was mad at having to work, doing something I didn't want to do, which was dumped on me.  No reason to have gotten so mad, as things have been going well lately, but it happened. I apologized to her. I was convicted of my actions, and have repented, but it has bothered me since. Regardless, your message hits home with me.

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

I find myself acting out as my wife calls it from time to time. I used to have a really bad temper, always looking for something to get mad about or fight about. I just thank God everyday for giving me the strength to change. Thanks for the reminder Wendell.

Have a great day,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

lightsoutcalls

... I think this post was prophetic, or just something God wanted me to think about ahead of time.  Today has been one of those days with ample opportunity to blow it.  I pray that God would continue to help me deal with the situation in a way that would be pleasing to Him.

:-X
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

turkey slayer