turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 w/ jellyhead .690 and Nitro 4x5x7

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, March 11, 2015, 08:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

Accidentally posted this in the turkey gun section, but what do you guys think about these patterns? This is 30 and 40 yards, I pulled a little on the 40 yard shot. Not super high numbers at 40 (around 220) but with the 3 different shot sizes in hevi shot I feel like this will put the smackdown on an old longbeard

drum817

That'll work .....no worries!!!  ..... Nitros should still be putting up better numbers!  Seems they have fallen off a bit in the last couple of years..... always liked their stuff too.  :)
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

drum817

This was about 5 years ago.  835 jellyhead .690 and the Nitro 3.5" Economy loads (copper 4's & 5's mixed with hevi 7's)  they don't sell em' anymore.  It was a WICKED load!!!

ThunderChickenGetter

Yeah I was hoping for a little higher numbers but I figure that pattern will kill a turkey as dead as dead can be!

drum817

Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on March 11, 2015, 09:18:05 PM
Yeah I was hoping for a little higher numbers but I figure that pattern will kill a turkey as dead as dead can be!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Old-Rat-in-the-Barn

I bought those in the #H517T offering which is the 2 7/16oz load, my results through a 870 were mediocre.

ThunderChickenGetter

Quote from: Old-Rat-in-the-Barn on March 11, 2015, 09:32:59 PM
I bought those in the #H517T offering which is the 2 7/16oz load, my results through a 870 were mediocre.
These were the #H517

Old-Rat-in-the-Barn

I think the load I bought was recommended for the over-bored Mossberg barrels like yours... I ended up going with offering #H510H for my Remmie. Those triplex loads of his will hold a better pattern at longer range than will the better patterning 7's but a 220 count will get er done. Have you a tighter choke to try out?

ThunderChickenGetter

Yes I tried them out of a IC .675 but they only had around 180 hits at 40. I was surprised when they shot that low with that Choke but everyone told me that the nitros like a little more open choke

Old-Rat-in-the-Barn

Makes a fellow to wonder then what the Carlson Longbeard choke in .683 would do in your gun... I know buying all these chokes and shells run into a lot of money, but its like that guy told Dirty Harry about firing all 6 shots, he said.. I gots to know lol  :funnyturkey:

ThunderChickenGetter

I have thought about that Choke and also the Kicks Gobblin thunder in .680, the only thing that has stopped me from trying the kicks is that it says no HTL loads.

Old-Rat-in-the-Barn

The longbeard choke is stamped lead, copper or Hevi... I've never owned or shot a Kicks, would like to though  :z-guntootsmiley:

ThunderChickenGetter

Quote from: Old-Rat-in-the-Barn on March 11, 2015, 10:54:02 PM
The longbeard choke is stamped lead, copper or Hevi... I've never owned or shot a Kicks, would like to though  :z-guntootsmiley:
Thanks for the info! If I ever find one cheap or have the extra cash I might try one out and see how it does.

Dr Juice

drum817

Quote from: mlisandro on March 18, 2015, 08:25:31 PM
That's an awesome pattern drum817.

Thanks! ....not trying to hijack the thread.   :icon_thumright: