Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What's everyone up to?

Started by DMP, March 09, 2015, 08:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

Finally had some time to do some scouting this past Saturday.  Located 5 gobblers. 

Looks like spring is about to hit early around here.  Forecasting mid 60's to 70's the next two weeks.  Personally I had rather see a late spring. 

Counting the days down now.  Youth day on the 28th. :turkey2:

BowBendr

Finally caught a nice weekend to be out. Actually hit 70 here yesterday.
Went and checked out 4 or 5 spots Saturday that had a lot of sign but didn't hear any turkey talk.
35 days and holding...

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Snoodsniper

Snow is finally melting here today. It's in the 40's woo hoo!! Getting ready to boil maple syrup. (Just something we do to amuse ourselves in the northeast) It should help pass time until turkey season. Probably won't do much scouting for a couple weeks yet.

Doug Lewis

Well, I was ready to roll out this coming weekend in Carolina but I forgot that we had a trip already planned for Costa Rica... Leave it up to my wife to plan it this time if year... I'll be back a few days before Georgia opens up, so I guess I can't complain. Birds are starting to gobble here pretty good

BowBendr

Bet they ain't no snow in Costa Rica...have a killer time !!!
And say hey to the hotties for me !

derek

Been chasing snow geese a bit.  Those days may be coming to an end here soon.  Birds have been on the move all week.  Has been nice not having to drill decoys in or set up white decoys on white snow though.  Hadn't been seeing many turkeys around but this week they've been out full force enjoying the warm sun, still flocked up though.
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

derek

MDBowman just had a successful hip-replacement surgery today.  All seems to be going well so far.. Here's hoping to a speedy recovery or I'm gonna have to push him around in a wheel chair all spring!
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

BowBendr

Hope you get on the mend real soon Dana !

chcltlabz

Been there, done that derek.  Never in a wheelchair, but it seems like everyone I hunt with has a propensity for knee replacements.  Took my stepfather out after a double knee replacement.  Had to cross a fence and walk probably 400 yards into the woods, me carrying everything, him hobbling with 2 canes. 

They say the walk out with a turkey is never tougher than the walk in, but that's not the case when the bird isn't yours and you're carrying 2 guns and trying to make sure someone doesn't fall, because you're pretty sure you won't be able to get them up again.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Fullfan

Been shoveling snow, off the roof in the drive ugh I'm so tired of this stuff. Did manage to get some ice fishing in though.. I'm not high tech like some of you guys. I have to email the pic from my phone and then down load it. Give me 20 min. LOL
Don't gobble at me...

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

MDbowman

Those crappie and gills look tasty!!

Brent, I was the big lead weight on Derek during duck season. I managed to carry my own stuff but he usually got everything else. We went on some death march hunts too. This has been going on for awhile, I actually limped through the last half of turkey season last year. So far (knock on wood) almost no pain with the new hip. It is amazing, and no freaking limping! Pick back up with a therapist on Monday. I am going to tell him the goal is to be in the woods on April 18th! No wheelchair for sure, maybe a cane, LOL.

Duke0002

Been plagued with eye problems since July.  Hopefully I'll be able to see a bird or two this spring!  Cold and snow have kept me from the field.  Will scout in the weeks ahead. 

Last spring trespassers ruined the first week of the season.  Perhaps I can get in ahead of them this opening day. Have seen birds in several fields while driving, so I know they made it through the winter.  A trapper on my favorite spot caught a bobcat this winter.  I'm wondering how many birds it took out of the flock.   Alas, it's all part of hunting!

Stay safe and enjoy your scouting and hunts!

BowBendr

Saw about 20 hens this morning, scattered in various small groups. No toms, didn't hear any either, the wind was rollin, gusting over 40....
Saw deer everywhere about 9 a.m. Every time I turned a corner I ran into 5-6 at a time. Probably saw 25, I believe everything was out just enjoying the fact that it's not 8 degrees.

canadatom

Just hanging out waiting for some of the snow to disappear which finally started happening this week. Starting  to see birds moving around now so hopefully get out and do some touch up on blinds and scouting in next couple of weeks and wait to hear that long awaited first gobble of spring