OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting pressured birds?  (Read 6346 times)

Online Marc

• Double Beard
Hunting pressured birds?
« on: March 07, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »
How long after a bird has been pushed around or put down by other hunters does he need before he will be receptive again?

Hunting public areas (with mostly morning hunters), or you get busted by a bird, how long (same day) before you would try him again?

Anything you do different when you know you are hunting a bird that was pressured earlier?

*(I understand that the best option is to leave him alone and try him on another day, but unfortunately, that is often not an option for some of us).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Hunting pressured birds?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
So much can depend on the bird and how much pressure. In my opinion the best options are to not hunt real pressured birds. Where I live that means mountain birds. Stay away from fields. Every kid taking his gf for a hike, bike ride, going fishing etc that sees those birds, least where I live has to call at em just so it'll gobble for the gf.
Stay away from that. Your other option is gobbler fights, gobbler talk. Most guys don't do it. It works and it's something they often haven't heard

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »
We try to get off the beaten path, hard to do around here, but that is our best chance. If everyone else is hunting where the visible birds are , then we get out in the boonies. More hunters = more pressure and the birds get awful quiet when it happens.

Offline snapper1982

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »
Ha you guys are all wrong! Didn't you read that hunting pressure on turkey's is a myth. Lol

I would wait a couple hours before trying him again.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 12:11:48 AM »
So much can depend on the bird and how much pressure. In my opinion the best options are to not hunt real pressured birds. Where I live that means mountain birds. Stay away from fields. Every kid taking his gf for a hike, bike ride, going fishing etc that sees those birds, least where I live has to call at em just so it'll gobble for the gf.
Stay away from that. Your other option is gobbler fights, gobbler talk. Most guys don't do it. It works and it's something they often haven't heard

All of the birds we hunt here are in the hills...  I have seen birds use some orchards, but for the most part it is rolling or steep oak-lined foothills.  In my area, I have never seen birds using agricultural areas or open fields...  I have seen birds using open fields or pasture further to the north (where there are a lot more birds), but not in my immediate area.

It would seem, on much of our public area that there are more hunters than turkeys, but there are turkeys to be had.  Knowing that most hunters give up the ghost after about 8 or 9 am, I thought I might try some later morning hunting on some of these public areas.

Most of my current hunting is done on private land, but it is limited, and I am hoping to expand my horizons (also, I do not want to take too many birds from a limited population).  Having hunted some public land in the past, one thing I experienced was a lot less gobbling (even when I knew birds were present).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:30:56 PM by Marc »
Did I do that?

Offline cahaba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 03:43:19 AM »
Sometimes you can reposition on the bird and get right back in the game. Sometimes it may take a day or two.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
How about competing with another hunter?

Kind of a conundrum.  Too much calling and the bird will likely hang up, but on the other side of the coin, at least initially, that bird will go toward the hunter who is most vocal (or at least that has been my experience).

I have never had any luck pulling in a bird with someone else calling at the same bird(s).  To my benefit, I have never heard that shot fired which would tell me he got it either.

This happens with hunters on adjoining property, as well as on public land where we each parked in a different area...  I have not had other hunters encroach my spread, and I have not walked up on anyone either, but sometimes, I have found myself competing with someone for the same birds at the same time.
Did I do that?

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Hunting pressured birds?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »

How about competing with another hunter?

Kind of a conundrum.  Too much calling and the bird will likely hang up, but on the other side of the coin, at least initially, that bird will go toward the hunter who is most vocal (or at least that has been my experience).

I have never had any luck pulling in a bird with someone else calling at the same bird(s).  To my benefit, I have never heard that shot fired which would tell me he got it either.

This happens with hunters on adjoining property, as well as on public land where we each parked in a different area...  I have not had other hunters encroach my spread, and I have not walked up on anyone either, but sometimes, I have found myself competing with someone for the same birds at the same time.

If the bird is coming to me I don't care what the other guy does I just keep doing what I'm doing even if it's soft clucks and purrs. If the bird is hung in the middle or moving away I'd run multiple calls to try and sound like several hens.

I had this on public last youth season I scouted and new exactly where the birds we're roosted and where they would go after fly down, we got in early and set up close. The birds flew down out of range but were drifting closer eating up the few calls I threw out when another hunter came in cranking away on his calls. They gobbled their heads off but never gave up their line to me and I just kept giving them only a few yelps with some purrs.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
Ha you guys are all wrong! Didn't you read that hunting pressure on turkey's is a myth. Lol

I would wait a couple hours before trying him again.

I'm glad I have at least one convert! :happy0064:

Although I believe we ascribe hunting pressure to too much of the turkey's behavior, I can tell you flat out there are days where the birds are uncooperative.  Whether it's human caused or just being naturally ornery, my solution is to go where the birds are going to be and wait for them there.  You won't hear me say "ambush."  I call, but I am usually more subdued when I think I have an ornery bird. I let him think he's selling me.  I will   ignore him-- make him think I can't hear him, and keep up with feeding calls.  I also will pick up and walk away from the bird, call a bit, and then double back.

The tactic of coming back on him 2 hours later is a good one too.  I'm in KY, so I can hunt all day long.  I'll therefore wait until mid-afternoon and try to work him again from another direction.

One other trick that I've used is one called "sonic baiting." I've done it for years, but only recently heard that it had a name.  Basically, if you have a very recalcitrant gobbler, I'll go out to where I expect I might have good luck in the morning and kick up a major fuss right around roosting time. My goal is to get the gob to think there's a tree full of horny hens roosting near him.    I then show up there the next morning.  The key is to do this in earshot of where you think the gobbler's roosted.

Overall, with ornery gobblers, my best bet is to place less emphasis on getting them to pitch down to you off the roost.   Hang back. Blend into the overall calling pattern, let the gob hop down and then start turning it on an hour or so later after he's done his thing with the hens in sight. Just as I see hunting pressure to be an over-emphasized concept, I also think the classic flydown encounter is a bit
over romanticized.  It is usually far easier, pressure or not, to make a score mid-morning or even later in the day.   
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline redleg06

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
Sometimes you can reposition on the bird and get right back in the game. Sometimes it may take a day or two.

Agreed.  I think a lot of it depends on how bad the bird was spooked. 

If he was just shot at then it may take a little longer than if he just saw you walking around in the woods from a distance, for example. 

There's no set rule for it but they usually calm back down fairly quickly. 

Offline falltoms

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »
I have killed a few gobblers by setting up tight on them ,especially. late in the season. I sit between him and his morning strut zone.Some of these Toms I never called too.Of course knowing the ground is a huge advantage. I have also heard the myth, about pressured birds.I can tell you, anyone who believes that hunting pressure doesn't affect gobbling, has not hunted enough pressured gobblers. My 2 cents

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:40:25 AM »
Pressure does affect gobblers, but they can still be killed. Patience is the key. I prefer to hunt greener birds, but that is not usually an option. My quick tip is know your bird's habits and the ground.  If you know he's spooky then tone down the calls and switch up. Listen to what kind of callers are being used round you and go to a new caller. I like my slates and pots for late season gobblers. Know where he likes to be and sit those areas. I have killed a bunch of the so called unkillable birds. I seldom kill them early in the morning, it's usually late morning or early afternoon. They are used to most hunters being gone. One of my favorite things to do is simply go stomping into a known strutt zone or hang out and act just like a hiker passing through, I'm not concerned with being quiet or sneaking at all. I simply stop and set up in the best area and wait. The rule is no calling of any kind for an hour, "NONE". Next is a little leaf scratching followed with some soft clucks or purrs and a couple yelps. after this introduction and about 10 minutes I will let out a hard run and cut. Then silence with only a single soft cluck now and then. Keep your ears wide open and movements slow. Many times the first thing you hear is leaves crunching or a spit. If this doesn't work do again and again and again and again, day after day. Every old gobbler has that day he is so horny he'll leave his good  sense and come, persistence kills old shy birds. This is why many of them are killed late season when they are lonely. Also late season try gobbler yelping. Gobblers will be looking to pack back up as spring winds down. Like old trophy bucks old gobblers usually take time and work, but they are killable. Do your homework!

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
Pressure does affect gobblers, but they can still be killed. Patience is the key. I prefer to hunt greener birds, but that is not usually an option. My quick tip is know your bird's habits and the ground.  If you know he's spooky then tone down the calls and switch up. Listen to what kind of callers are being used round you and go to a new caller. I like my slates and pots for late season gobblers. Know where he likes to be and sit those areas. I have killed a bunch of the so called unkillable birds. I seldom kill them early in the morning, it's usually late morning or early afternoon. They are used to most hunters being gone. One of my favorite things to do is simply go stomping into a known strutt zone or hang out and act just like a hiker passing through, I'm not concerned with being quiet or sneaking at all. I simply stop and set up in the best area and wait. The rule is no calling of any kind for an hour, "NONE". Next is a little leaf scratching followed with some soft clucks or purrs and a couple yelps. after this introduction and about 10 minutes I will let out a hard run and cut. Then silence with only a single soft cluck now and then. Keep your ears wide open and movements slow. Many times the first thing you hear is leaves crunching or a spit. If this doesn't work do again and again and again and again, day after day. Every old gobbler has that day he is so horny he'll leave his good  sense and come, persistence kills old shy birds. This is why many of them are killed late season when they are lonely. Also late season try gobbler yelping. Gobblers will be looking to pack back up as spring winds down. Like old trophy bucks old gobblers usually take time and work, but they are killable. Do your homework!
excellent advice I just picked up a thing or two by reading this. Thank you sir.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
that is sound advice right there.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
 :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

That is some very good advice I
picked some tips myself going to public land next week and I am caring some of this with me
Thanks
that is sound advice right there.