turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Called in my first crows today just messing around

Started by clfergus, March 05, 2015, 01:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

I went outside at lunch to get the mail and could hear a few crows making noise across the cornfield maybe 500 yards away. Its been really cold and snowy in Indiana so out in the country I haven't seen many crows as they have migrated toward the south and every Mcdonalds and Walmart dumpster you can find. Darrell Gibson told me on the phone he calls those Welfare Crows which I though was pretty funny.

I ran inside to grab a call and the first one I saw on my bench was a Faulks C-50 I just bought off ebay. I have also acquired a Mallardtone to go along with my Gibson.

I went outside and stood in the garage door and did the CAWWW - CAWWW - CAWWW. Stop and waited, then did it again. All of a sudden I see them take off across the field and start flying my way, not direct but in a circle pattern like a deer would come if try to get downwind.

Then the three of them came directly toward the garage and started flying in circles overhead making a racket. Every time they would get out of sight I would call again and they would fly back over. I just mimicked what sound they were making which mostly were really short CAWs and somewhat aggressive. I stopped calling and they took off to a tree about 200 yards away. I called again and boom they came back.

It was very exciting, didn't have a gun but it was cool to see them respond.

Lonehowl

lol I do the same thing...I make a call then start tuning it, and before long I have a bunch of crows hovering over my house. My neighbors think Im evil.
Mark