OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Realistic owl call.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 02, 2015, 09:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

How realistic does an owl call actually have to sound to be effective? The reason I ask is that I bought a Quaker Boy owl hooter and I can't quite get it deep enough.

Should I try another call (on a budget) or stick with what I have if it won't make a difference?

drum817

IMO..... A owl should be pretty close to the real thing.  I'd suggest a synthetic Harrison hooter from hooks calls.  I have COMPLETE confidence in it!!!  Been striking birds with mine for quite a few years!!!  Good luck!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

drenalinld

I have an Olivewood Harrison that sounds REALLY good. Strike owls like crazy with. However, on my 5,000 acre lease the Primos hoot tube strikes way more turkeys. Don't experience that in other places but there they sometimes ignore real owls and gobble at the plastic Primos that does not fool anyone. Also makes a difference how many holes are covered. Most mornings the response is better with two holes covered and one uncovered. Also, my sequence works better than my brother's 9 times out of ten for no reason I can determine. Crazy. Every once in a while they respond to lower tone with all holes covered or even higher pitch with none covered.

Bowguy

Hootin stick is the way to go, least by me. The laugh gets em gobbling everytime. Truth is though, a flyup at dusk will tell you where they are better the night before. Come morning you'll can be right under one. If that set doesn't pan out you'd prob be using another locater by than.

Otdrzman

I have a Harrison Hoot'n Stick and a Houndstooth Morning Striker Hooter. They both sound very realistic and in my opinion you wouldn't make a bad choice with either one. They are the best owl hooters that I have ever owned.

deerbasshunter3

I bought a Boogeyman barred owl call. No matter how I hold my hands, it sounds like a duck.

drum817

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 04, 2015, 11:15:50 PM
I bought a Boogeyman barred owl call. No matter how I hold my hands, it sounds like a duck.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:.....if u have the $$ buy a synthetic Harrison hooter...you will not need another owl call!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: drum817 on March 02, 2015, 10:07:59 PM
IMO..... A owl should be pretty close to the real thing.  I'd suggest a synthetic Harrison hooter from hooks calls.  I have COMPLETE confidence in it!!!  Been striking birds with mine for quite a few years!!!  Good luck!

I think I may order one this week.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

bowbird87