OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alabama Gobbling!

Started by ericjames, March 02, 2015, 03:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bammer

Anybody hunt Cahaba river WMA? If so any luck on hearing anything?

ericjames

Well it's that time to get this thread started again. It shouldn't be long until someone gets the urge to go listen. I've saw strut sign and it want be long until I go listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonybforua

Gobbling good in central Alabama this morning. Hens are vocal. Overcast and a touch windy. 60 degrees

Mossyguy

I'll be sitting on the river between Alabama and Georgia in the morning to see who talks first

buzzardroost

Good to hear!

Mossyguy

Heard a jake this morning. I was driving down the road right at daylight and just happened to look to my left and saw the silhouettes of a couple turkeys in trees along the river. Went down a little ways and got out. Ended up being about 15 hens. Went down the road a little further and listened to the jake gobble a few times.

buzzardroost

Anybody around Heflin hearing anything?

Cypress Sniper

Man, this has been a rough season so far. There was promise starting out with gobbling birds and a few close calls. Now, the last few mornings have been dead silent in my part of the state. Others are reporting the same.

Some of the old timers say that that the turkeys bred early this year given the warm temps in late Feb / early March. Which means now they are basically done breeding except for the hens that might have a damaged nest that are coming back into season.
Others say that the season is yet to really get started.

All I know is that I have only missed 5 mornings hunts all year and I am pretty discouraged with the less than stellar results thus far. I have had a few woulda shoulda hunts where two to three birds should be in the freezer, but these silent mornings just have me stumped.
"He also knows that when he comes back home empty-handed, as he will do regularly, he will have no satisfactory explanation. He is well aware, for he has met dozens of them, of the numbers of people that will approach him on street corners and in bars and at parties, who will open each conversation with, "Well, did you get him yet?" - Col Tom Kelly