turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone use Guillotines or similar?

Started by daymude7288, February 27, 2015, 06:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daymude7288

This will be my first year bowhunting turkeys.  Been shooting a bow all my life so I feel comforitable taking a head shot.  My question is do you prefer these over traditional braodheads?  What is your favorite braodhead for headshots.  And lastly how do you sight in?

cornfedkiller

I have been shooting Magnus Bullheads for a few years, and I can't ever see myself going back to a traditional broadhead.  I like that its either a clean miss, or a dead bird piled up right in the decoys.  Not to mention, I think the head is an easier target because its visible - you can see the exact spot you are aiming. 

I went with the Bullhead because of a couple reasons, but mainly because it has beefier blades, and there is a lifetime guarantee on them.  If you break them or bend a blade (even while killing a turkey), snap a picture of it, email it to Magnus, and they will send you a new head.

A couple things to consider when switching to this style.. You need a longer arrow so that your head is out in front of the shelf and your sight, and because of this, you need a stiffer spined arrow.  The fact that you are also shooting a larger head, means you need a stiffer spine.  Magnus sells Victory arrows that are very stiff and fletched with 4 feathers for added stability, so they really take all the guesswork out of everything. 

As far as sighting in..Hang a cheap Wal-Mart pillow from something and shoot at it.  The soft pillow and the give in it will allow the head to hit it and not harm anything (other than your $3 pillow you then just throw away).  I attached a link to a video I took of me sighting them in 2 years ago.  I shoot 125 grain heads because of the larger diameter, but out to 20 yards, I don't have any different point of impact.  In the video, when shooting at 40 yards, I used my 50-yard pin. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-VqpmpaJuY

Road

bullheads all the way. ive been using them for years. Have my son shooting them out of his cross bow last year and they worked well with it too.

Dan Mallia

Quote from: cornfedkiller on February 27, 2015, 08:33:32 PM
I have been shooting Magnus Bullheads for a few years, and I can't ever see myself going back to a traditional broadhead.  I like that its either a clean miss, or a dead bird piled up right in the decoys.  Not to mention, I think the head is an easier target because its visible - you can see the exact spot you are aiming. 

I went with the Bullhead because of a couple reasons, but mainly because it has beefier blades, and there is a lifetime guarantee on them.  If you break them or bend a blade (even while killing a turkey), snap a picture of it, email it to Magnus, and they will send you a new head.

A couple things to consider when switching to this style.. You need a longer arrow so that your head is out in front of the shelf and your sight, and because of this, you need a stiffer spined arrow.  The fact that you are also shooting a larger head, means you need a stiffer spine.  Magnus sells Victory arrows that are very stiff and fletched with 4 feathers for added stability, so they really take all the guesswork out of everything. 

As far as sighting in..Hang a cheap Wal-Mart pillow from something and shoot at it.  The soft pillow and the give in it will allow the head to hit it and not harm anything (other than your $3 pillow you then just throw away).  I attached a link to a video I took of me sighting them in 2 years ago.  I shoot 125 grain heads because of the larger diameter, but out to 20 yards, I don't have any different point of impact.  In the video, when shooting at 40 yards, I used my 50-yard pin. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-VqpmpaJuY

What he typed.

I love Bullheads.  Killed 4 birds last year with em.  Great product, great customer service.