turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington Nitros...explain this !!

Started by turkey buster, February 21, 2015, 02:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Sounds right. They are about as bad as a turkey load can get especially when your shooting #4s.

deadbuck

I have a shell worse than that. I shoot a 10 ga H&R with 32 inch barrel and it will get 35-50 hits at 40 in the 10 with a Federal 2 0z #5 load. No way to explain it. Same choke gets 200 in the 10 at 40 with Fed HWT 7's.

turkey buster

Funny how that works! Is that 10 gauge a fixed full?

TRex18

Quote from: deadbuck on February 23, 2015, 09:54:28 PM
I have a shell worse than that. I shoot a 10 ga H&R with 32 inch barrel and it will get 35-50 hits at 40 in the 10 with a Federal 2 0z #5 load. No way to explain it. Same choke gets 200 in the 10 at 40 with Fed HWT 7's.

Chuck I think this is you, its Tye from PA, Ordered the Fed HWs 6s and looking for the 7s, to run through the NEF 10 36 Barrel with Kicks GT .695. I used the Rem shells to dirty up my gun and choke mostly I had very little luck with them.

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 21, 2015, 06:52:04 PM
I have never been able to get any of the Remington turkey shells to pattern in any of my shotguns except the old Remington hevi shot in the green and yellow box

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 21, 2015, 06:52:04 PM
I have never been able to get any of the Remington turkey shells to pattern in any of my shotguns except the old Remington hevi shot in the green and yellow box

buck_hunter21

Quote from: Gobble! on February 22, 2015, 02:10:52 PM
Sounds right. They are about as bad as a turkey load can get especially when your shooting #4s.

Bingo. This shell is horrible.
Spill Blood

renegade19

Uh, have you tried the Hornadys?  They are brutally bad in my Super Mag.

Izzyjoe

When I first started turkey hunting I tried them because they were cheap, well they are ok if you limit shots at 30yds, but I had better patterns using AA 71/2 at 30. I guess if it's all you can find, they can get the job done, just find you're limit, and don't go past that and you'd be alright!  The Long Beards just flat out work, and I hope they don't change them, well they did up the shot weight, but that didn't change much. 

tha bugman

Never shot them heard too many bad things about them before I bought a box
Quote from: renegade19 on March 23, 2016, 06:53:15 PM

Uh, have you tried the Hornadys?  They are brutally bad in my Super Mag.

dzsmith

I used Remington nitros for years. killed my first 5 turkeys with them. they aren't the greatest.... as far as a cheap backup..id probably shoot Winchester double x which still puts up 150 in a 10 at 40 for me. but I always shoot 3 shots to a group and take the average before I condemn a shell
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Tom Foolery

A friend brought over a 12"x12" paper with 236 hits on it at 32yds, Win 3" HV #6 shot. 

"It's a 50yd gun" was his claim

I told him he would be surprised if he shot it at 40yds what his pattern would be.  We went back and forth and he tacked up another 12"x12" sheet of paper and we ranged 41yds.  He fired and when we got finished counting he had 85 total hits on that piece of paper.

In 8yds he dropped 151 hits.

That is why I start at 40yds and work backwards.