turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New England fowler 16 ga

Started by omegafoo, February 20, 2015, 07:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omegafoo

So I've been offered up a New England fowler 16ga flintlock to use for a turkey this year. It's got a 51" barrel and is jug choked and lethal out to 40 yards.

Anyone else using this type of setup? I'll post pictures as soon as I can get my hands on it but look forward to a black powder bird this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joey46

Waiting on the pictures.  The season where we hunt in Florida starts 3/21.  Depending on the weather will probably start the year with the Knight TK.  Good luck.

omegafoo

Sorry for the delay. Between our schedules we just got squared away with a time this weekend to get the piece. I'll be picking it up Saturday afternoon, after a brief "training" session on this particular gun. I'll post up pictures after this weekend.

blackfalcon

Now that's a turkey gun! Looking forward to seeing pictures. I don't know of anyone other than Mike Brooks building them with that long of a barrel, (so I'm assuming an original fowling gun)?

omegafoo

Got to shoot it some this afternoon with more patterning/practice tomorrow.

omegafoo

Quote from: blackfalcon on March 13, 2015, 11:28:22 PM
Now that's a turkey gun! Looking forward to seeing pictures. I don't know of anyone other than Mike Brooks building them with that long of a barrel, (so I'm assuming an original fowling gun)?

This one was made by David Dodds

blackfalcon

My curiosity was piqued as I have an original fowling piece with a 51 1/4 inch barrel in about 16 gauge. Thank you for sharing the pictures and info..David is a great maker, it would be a rare privilege to handle one of his fowling guns and that's a beauty.   Best of luck to you this spring!

hoyt

I've been hunting deer and turkey with flintlocks for quiet a few yrs. now. I build them myself to suit my personal taste...lightweight and shorter barrels.

My first flintlock I built was open cylinder 20ga. with 36" Getz barrel and did kill a few gobblers with it, but many would hang up just past 30yds and that is borderline with open cylinder. So I built the one I hunt with now and used a Colerain Turkey Choke barrel on it..had it cut down to 34" and made the .20ga. lightweight all the way around. Just over 6lbs. It will kill gobblers out to 50yds or more so I hear from Colerain. Only one I've shot at with it I killed about 40yds. It does have a real good tight pattern.

omegafoo

I should have sealed the deal yesterday but was impatient and, when I took the shot, I killed the pine tree to the right of his head. I rushed and didn't get my head down on the stock. The experience was awesome though. I ended up fanning him in to about 5 yards. A bit close for me but I got caught between a rock and a hard place. He stepped behind some trees and I dropped the fan. He started putting and I grabbed the gun and rushed when he stepped out from behind. The poor pine payed the price. If only I had my Benelli with fast fire 3...

omegafoo

Btw, Hoyt, I miss following your green swamp adventures on FS ;) you sure knew that place and how to kill some big deer out of there!

hoyt

Quote from: omegafoo on March 31, 2015, 08:27:27 PM
Btw, Hoyt, I miss following your green swamp adventures on FS ;) you sure knew that place and how to kill some big deer out of there!

omegafoo..I miss spring gobbler season in Greenswamp...very few birds around where I hunt up here now. Although, I did hear 3 or 4 this morning about an hr and a half walk up and down steep drainage's and ridges...miss the flatland also. Season starts this Monday.

I've had a few times when my 870, or 500 would have come in handy, but never had the desire to go back to modern guns.

Hope you seal the deal next trip.