OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Kill Story Thread  (Read 3116 times)

Offline jblackburn

• Paintbrush Beard
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
Kill Story Thread
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
Use this to tell us how you scored!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
Re: Kill Story Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Well it was windy as heck yesterday. When I got there, someone was already sitting there. landowner said nobody was supposed to be in there but he said he had permissiom. I said ok and asked if I was going to mess his hunt up, he said no. He is also a teacher where I work. Didn't hear alot of gobbling but heard a couple but they shut-up pretty quick. Well at 6:40 my other hunter shoots twice. I thought well crap, but was going to stick it out. I jump around a bit, me and wife, trying to strike one up. At 8:00 I peek into a field and I see a hen then I see a strutter. I get my wife into position and call once. At 20 yards just inside the woods a red head appears and I tell her shoot!!! She shoots and its down, so we sit tight and I keep calling. The rest of them left the field so I just deciced to wait it out for a while. I put out a full strut and hen decoy and start calling every 10-15 min. After an hour or so my wife says I see a strutter and some hens. Actually it was 2 gobblers and 2 hens. They fed around about 175 yards away and didn't pay any attention to a call. After a while 1 hen leaves and the other comes up field line twords us. She hits the woods bout 10 feet beside us and leaves. The gobblers look up after pecking around in the field and dont see the hen so they start coming our way. They hit a small dip in the field and when they got to top the seen my decoy. Game on!! 1 comes in looking and the other comes in running twords decoy. Had to wait till they seperated and managed to get him at 10:45. Awesome morning in the woods. Wife was on a streak of not getting one but she cahanged that. Mine was 22.17 lbs, 8 1/2" beard and 3/4 and 7/8 spurs. Wife's was 18 1/2 lbs, 9" beard and 3/4" spurs.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »
Well, been a tough season for me up till 4/23. Hens went on nest about a week earlier than normal this year so gobbling has increased over the past week, at least later in the day gobbles. Buddy invited me to go with him. Said he had several nice birds on camera and had a couple of spots for us to try. He sat me up in a small woodlot next to a field with a small creek wrapping around. Had a bird gobble several times off the roost but flew down and moved down the creek bottom. Saw one jake midmorning and a few gobbles from creek area around noon. Buddy texted me after that and said that we should switch areas so that we wouldn't get too restless. He was set up on the edge of a plowed field overlooking a large hardwood bottom. Within an hour I had another jake come in checked out my hen decoy and moved on. Later I  heard a bird gobbling deep in the bottom. About 4pm another bird came in but it was also a jake. 30 minutes after that there was a lot of cutting and yelping the the bottom. I called back and birds called back but soon quieted down (coming my way??). I really put my head on a swivel and at 5pm I caught a motion behind me in the field. As I slowly turned in my blind I noticed a long beard. I quickly and quietly repositioned to get my gun on the bird. I knew the shot would be a long one but he was headed across the field toward his roost area and would not be turned. I also knew the limitations of my gun and setup due to extensive preseason shooting sessions. I lined my red dot on his scope and touched off the trigger. He flopped immediately and a season worth of frustration came to an end. My buddy heard the shot and came to check it out. Together we celebrated as only two members of the Tenth Legion can do. I think he was truly as happy for me as if he had taken the bird himself.

Offline dlewis82nd

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »

Well this isn't too exciting of a story. Before sun up I got on a group of birds behind our awesome neighbors house that let's us hunt. They would just absolutely hammer but wouldn't close the distance. That's when I decided to, I grabbed my killer b and worked over the ridge and around the opposite side. I crawled up on top of the hill I'd say I was 40 yards strait above them. I could only see about 6 yards then the hill rolled over. I could tell there was a gobbler and several jakes in the group. I didn't want a red head to pop up at 6 yards and end up slamming a jake so I decided I'd crawl to the end of the hill and look down on them.......mistake I guess my 6 foot 250 pound frame isn't that sneaky. Once I tucked my tail and headed back to the truck I realized I had my fishing rods in the truck. I figured I'd go on down to my gmas and stick a few lips. As I'm pulling into her driveway I see a lone strutting gobbler. I once again grabbed my killer b and loaded a longbeard xr into the 535. I crawled down to the field next to the field he was in and stuck the jake out and threw some of the most sexy hen talk out of my o.s.s......
Nothing so for about 10 minutes I sit there calling wondering if I bumped this bird. I think it's possible because he couldn't have been more than 100 yards from where I set up. I decide to crawl to the next field. I crawl up to the strip of brush and I feel like a rabbit because it was so thick. I look right and nothing I look left and nothing so I go to take another scoot and as I look left again there he is full strut just 30 yards to my left. I turn my scope on and slowly get positioned. I let out a few yelps just to see if he will come down the edge for a 5 yard shot but he just turns and turns. With that I push the safety forward and squeeze off the 3.5 inch #5s. The sound of the shot hitting that bird was unmistakable. I was excited to take some nice beautiful pictures with him. Well he managed to flop over about 10 yards and find a sink sized water puddle to get all ugly in.........like I said not a awesome hunt where they work calls and hammer decoys but he will no longer stand in that field and tease me as I drive by

Offline Cattail75

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »
Between the rain and the wind, this was a challenging Spring turkey season and hard to get a full days hunt in. My husband and I would get up at 3 a.m., drive an hour to our hunting property, set up decoys, then sit back and wait for the turkeys to come down from their roost. Unfortunately, the only birds that came into my decoys were hens. My husband had both hens and jakes near his spot, but the toms would hang up about 75-80 yards out, taunting us. The day before the end of the season, the weather finally cleared. The morning was a little cool, but very calm. As the sun made its presence, the field came to life...raccoon, deer, and finally turkeys. I spotted a tom in strut way across the other side of the field. I tryed various turkey calls, trying to coax him over the ridge to where my decoys were, but he showed no interest and decided to move on. Things got very quiet and as the sun got higher, so did the temperature. Just as I was thinking my morning hunt was done, 2 longbeards popped out of the woods to my right. I used my copper slate call and they started to head towards my decoys. I watched as they approached, brought my gun up, and tried not to make any sudden movements. The lead tom got within 45 yards, then seemed to sense something wasn't quite right. He began to turn towards the woods...I thought "it's now or never" and took the shot. He dropped and the other longbeard ran into the woods just as my tom hit the ground. The tom turned out to be 20 lbs, with an 11 inch beard, and 1 1/4 inch spurs. Although it started out as a challenging season this year, I'm saying my thank you prayers for a great ending to our Spring turkey hunt.

Thanks for having me on Team Headhunters and a special thanks to Team captain Joey for posting the pictures
Carrie

Offline jimwil

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
The climate was quitely good. I was off from work sitting on the bench and then suddenly I heard my phone rang. So, I found out that it was my best friend calling me for a challenging moment wherein we will go to place where there numbers of turkeys for hunt. So I pack up and bring my shotgun. There when we arrived the place we started to do some shooting bang so I did kill 5 of them and I was so glad. While my best friend shoots 15 and I clapped my hands for his achievements. We did enjoy a lot.