OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Eastern Assassins Hunt Stories  (Read 2799 times)

Offline willy8457

Eastern Assassins Hunt Stories
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:14:28 AM »
Post up your hunt stories

Offline BigGobbler

• BigGobblerCalls
Re: Eastern Assassins Hunt Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »
Going to take a beaten on this one but needed some camp meat and gave him about 45 minutes to leave my setup he only had 1/4" nubs for spurs and a 5" beard and probably 18# We were out in the middle of North Carolina woods  40 minutes from anything with no scale, pencil or tape measure if it been a big one i drove back into town and got what i needed but this gobbler was not worth the time and gas. like i said i let him dance around my decoy at 20 yards for about 45 minutes and would not leave so my buddy told me to shoot him. I'm not a Jake shooter but we wanted some camp meat so down he went. I was after a double beard we had called in the day before that hung up out at about 70 yards, just would not come any closer so we let him walk.We heard him and his hens off the roost but never laid eyes on him again. I called in two other nice gobblers for the other two guys that were with me and when it came to my turn to shoot again my luck was just not there for a nice long beard but i did have 3 other separate encounters with Jake's dancing around my decoy. We had a good safe trip and had fun and most of all i had a week off both jobs to relax and enjoy doing what i like best so I'm happy with my trip.

Offline Ctburdchasr

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
The time finally came this morning, nice warm and sunny. I didn't sleep at all, while waiting for the minutes to tick by until sunrise. I set up in the woods 300 yards away from a large hay lot along an old rock wall. Sunup came with no noise at all. But all my scouting told me the birds weren't coming for hours. Sporadic calling every 5-10 minutes...nothing, anyways at 945 with no response a phone battery that was dying due the game apps and I'm laying in the leaves feet up on a rock and my seat pad has became my pillow. Hammering on a mouth call, to no avail. I decided what better time to practice my pot calling.... So I let out some mid volume yelps and cuts throwing in a few light purrs and clucks steadily for 6 minutes without a pause or break in the action then....BAM!!!from way off in the field the thunder roared. And my hands started to shake. Quickly sitting up pulling on my mask and vest sitting up on the tree again check my decoys make sure they are setting properly still. Then grabbed the call and yelped cut and clucked again for a 30 second count and there he was. The gobble rang loudly down the draw and he had closed in to less than 100 yards on the top of the knoll at full strut he stood. He  circled a few times gobbled once more then dropped tail and walked along the wall just on the other side of it from me. I threw a series of 6-7 quick cuts and he hammered again from within 20 yards but I couldn't see him. The rock wall was in the way. Until he reached the opening I made so I can drive my quad through to haul out deer. There he stepped into the clear head held high 11 yards profiled and it was his last moments. I mentally recorded an hour worth of images in the few split seconds I allowed him to stand there and with the movement of one finger the gun rang loud and old tom somersaulted backwards and flopped dead. My first double bearded tom was now a memory and story to tell rather than a nagging wish on my bucket list. Great day with a great score

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
Eastern Assassins Hunt Stories
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »
Our season has been in for one week now, I went out last Monday and heard one gobble while he was on the roost. Went out this past Saturday and heard one on roost and struck one up about 9, a couple gobbles and he was gone. Went out this morning and didn't hear a thing till about 930, worked him for about 30 minutes and was able to get him to commit. He came in and I rushed the shot and missed. It's been awful quiet the three days I've been out, I'm hopping its not like that the next three weeks. It's never been this quiet.

Offline bowmike

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »
The girls woke up early today so I figured I would take advantage and go out for a little. IF you all have read my reports you know that the public land I have been hunting has not been very kind to me. I have been cut off, set up on, you name it.

I took the advice that was given to me today and went out away from any crowds. I was out of my truck at 5 and started my walk. I went to a few areas that had birds in the past and couldn't buy a gobble. I was have afraid my gobble tube wouldn't even work.

After walking from 5:00 to 6:30 I finally heard a bird about 400 yards or farther out. I was on an opposite side of the hollow. At the top is a powerline and I figured it I could get to the powerline and beat feet in that direction I could close the distance. I figured the bird was at the end of a trail with a field on it. This is probably the hardest hit area for pressure, so my game plan was to walk out the powerline and see if anyone was there. There was a trail that would connect me right to my vehicle if I saw any one and it would only add about 5 minutes, so I figured lets give it a go.

I got out to the power line off of the small field at the end of the trail and I sit and listen for calling as I did not see any vehicles. After not hearing anything i decided to give out 3-4 yelps and see if my hypothesis was correct.

"Yelp, yelp, yelp"......GOBBLE-OBBLE-OBBLE about 80 yards out

YES!!

I jumped  into the woods about 50 yards. Sit down check the phone and it is 6:45. I check the area over and sit down. I decided to let out some excited cuts with a few yelps.

"yelp yelp yelp, cut cut yelp yelp yep"

"GOBBLE-OBBBL-OBBLE -OBBLE, GOBBLE-OBBBL-OBBLE -OBBLE,GOBBLE-OBBBL-OBBLE -OBBLE, GOBBLE-OBBBL-OBBLE -OBBLE"

4 answer and are coming in hot. I can tell they are coming in a bit different and quickly change my position.

After about 30 seconds I start seeing white heads coming. THe bird on the left has a swinging beard and is on a Bee- line for me.

THen they hang up on a brush pile at about 50 yards. They kept pacing back and fourth. I am about ready to choke on my mouth call I am so pumped.

I do a few soft yelps and the pop over the brush pile.

I see the long beard hopethe brush pile and start strutting. There is a large diameter oak tree out in front about 35 yards. He gos right behind it. I am set up with crosshairs on the opposite side of the big oak.

"When he comes out I am wacking him" I think.

I see a red white and blue head come strutting out behind the oak.

BOOOM!

the 870 and hevi shot ring out. I see some birds running and see one has a rope. I see my bird flopping. I run up and put my foot on his head and check the phone. 6:48. MY whole hunt took 3 minutes. I flip the bird over and don't see my long beard.

Here the jake cut in front of the long beard. "WHat the heck is this? Really?"

I was a bit bummed but still elated with how everything laid out. I called in 4 turkeys right to me. I learned from last year though and didn't want to wait for the 20 yard shot. I was a bit exposed on the tree so I decided to take him.

His stats are probably .25" spurs, 4.875" beard,  and 16# Definetly not what I was expecting but my son was just as happy to see the turkey.

I filled out my tag and took off back to the escape. I snagged a few in the woods pics.

I snagged a in the back of the escape pic as well. LOL I don't have a tail gate.

notice the mandatory fly rod and spot light in there.

I flew home, and ran in the house. MY wife was up with the twins and Corbin was still in bed. I went in his room and he woke up crabby and hid under his buck pillow pet.

"DADDY GOT A TURKEY BUDDY"

HE Pops up full of excitement.

"You got a turkey daddy? I go see him"

I grabbed him and ran out side.

Momma came and snapped  a few pictures.

"he's a jaked daddy, he's just a little guy"

This helped my ego, let me tell ya.

Here are a few other shots.

My wife would not let me get the twins in a picture with the jake ;)

I got the bird cut up, beard and such removed and hopped in the shower. I was a half hour late to work but let me boss know ahead of time. He had no issues with it.

I love turkey hunting and it is part of my soul. After my first day fiasco my mind has been drained. I am thankful so many of you on here did not let me get down, and gave me solid advice for public land hunting.  In a way even a jake on public land is an accomplishment. I had not intensions of shooting a jake but have no regrets either. MY son is so happy and will be talking about daddy's turkey all day. I have really put the miles in this season, and may take a break tomorrow and sleep in. Lord knows I need it.

I have been very blessed with a great family, loving and "supportive" wife, a new job, and even twin girls. I was unsure how much I would get out this year and feel blessed to have had such an exciting and quick hunt. I have worked hard at my calling and listening to advice that is given on this site. I want to thank you all for being a part of this bird.

WIll be going long beard or bust now. Good luck everyone and thanks for the read.

Mike

Offline bowmike

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »
Well most of you have read my story from yesterday. I was going to rest up and hit it hard but with the amount of green up happening right now I figured I might as well go out. One of the twins was extra fussy so I let momma sleep and took care of her. I put her down and grabbed my gear out the door at 5.

I decided on going in deep again. I have not scouted this area but knew a gobbler was over there because of when the deer jumped out on me on opening day and he sounded off.

I walked down the valley, up the other side, up the ridge and set up on a hump. I started with a few light tree yelps and had a hen get fired up about 40 yards away. I could not see on top, but because it was so light I had to stay back to prevent my outline from being seen.

I messed with her, and about 10 minutes later heard the first gobble about 80 yards out.

YES!! I knew this was going to be a tough one as I was down on the other side of the hump a bit. I called the gobbler and hen for about 20 minutes and the hen came right up on me. SHe started at me for about 5 minutes lightly putting and purring. I thought she had busted me but fed off to my left a little bit. THe gobbler was following her at a distance.

It was 6:23 and I knew I had to act fast. The back side of that hump was super thick so I ran down the trail to the bottom where it opened up a bit. I found a good tree and sat down. I was high pitch front end yelping to try and make the hen mad. SHe came in again off to my left. The gobbler was in tow but hung up before commiting to crest the hill.

I figured it is do or die so I decided I would gobble. I couldn't use the tube so on my way home from work I have been playing with gobbling with a mouth call. I do a long really loud yelp and shake my hand in front of my mouth. I figured if he thought another bird was getting in on his girls he would get fired up and come check me out. IT was a huge risk but one I had to take given my time frame.

"YOBBLE OBLLELL OBBLLLEE" I let one fly. He instantly double gobbles. HE is coming in hotter now. I can hear him spitting and drumming. I can see a full fan and bright white crown.

I give him a few yelps but throw it the other way a bit so it is not too loud. He is coming off of the bench in full strut spitting and drumming. HE would break strut and look for the "other gobbler"

He was at 50 but I did not want to take that shot. I could see him coming down the hill. I did not want to let him get side tracked on the live hen and decided when he comes into the opening at 35-40 I would take the shot. He is spitting and drumming and stops just short of the opening. I have my gun on him and double check he is a long beard.  "thanks to borden" He takes to steps.

:"BOOOOMMM!"

I let him have the 2 0z f #6 hevi shot and he flops straight down, no wing flapping of any sort. I take off and grab him.

I fill out my tag and check my phone. 6:47. Only a minute off from the jake kill yesterday. I fill out my tag and grab him and take off running for my truck so I am not late for work again.   I snag a few in the woods pics and am off to the races.

I trip over a log and the gobbler gos flopping. I check and make sure my tag and twist tie (made sure to grab on last night) are still good and barrel to my escape.

I am huffing and puffing and pouring sweat by the time I get to the car but made it by 6:58. WHAT A HAUL THAT WAS WITH A 20# gobbler on my back.

I call my wife and see if she can get Corbin up. I get the biggest butt chewing about how we need this job, and I cant be late, and she is tired, you name it. Needless to say Corbin did not get to see this bird.

I snagged some quick pics of the bird.

NOt too bad of spurs, rounded and somewhere around and inch.

I buthchered him , and ran for the shower. I cant wait to get the text about the blood dropplets on the shower wall. LOL

I made it to work about 9 minutes late. Not to shabby.

THis was my best bird to date with 8 15/16" beard, 20.6#, and roughly 1" spurs.

This will go down as my all time favorite hunt ever of any animal. I used my head, and every thing I decided to do worked exactly how I had planned. I will be doing up his tail fan and such and may get another vandykes turkey breast display for him. Might choose a different one.

THis season started BAD really BAD! I kept my head up. I was going to take a break today and sleep in but just had to get out there again.

I am done. My body is tired, legs are soar, and arms are weak. I put in a lot of miles in order to be successful. Back to back public land birds is something I can hang my hat on. Thanks again for all of the advice. I will only be going out now to help call for my buddies, or to take my nephew out. I love this sport, and it is by far my favorite. It has now passed grouse hunting and archery.

I learned a lot this season, and feel I more than doubled my skill set. It is rough getting up everymorning, and putting miles, and miles, in the PA hill country, but I feel I can say I joined the diehard club this season. I am still learning and have a lot more to learn, but have to say I improved my set up ability and calling. MY woodsmanship skills went up, and I am now able to hunt confidently and trust my gut.

Good luck to everyone still trying to fill you tags. Keep your head up, stick to it, and dont' ever give up.

There is no rest for the Wicked, and us how are proud members of Gobblers Anonymous.

Thanks for the read, but not too many Bowmike stories for the rest of the season.