OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: WidowMaker Turkey Huntin Stories  (Read 2750 times)

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
WidowMaker Turkey Huntin Stories
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »
GOBBLE-GOBBLE    Team mates, tell us all about your hunts on this thread.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
Re: WidowMaker Turkey Huntin Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:21:06 AM »
Hey guys, got lucky Sat. morning. A short story before my Sat. morning hunt.

Friday morning a buddy and I thought we had a plan. We got there way early, that area is so open you cannot move around much after it gets light. I would set up on one side of where the birds had been roosting and he would setup on the other side. A bird started gobbling and my buddy had picked the right spot. That bird gobbled a lot from the roost, when they flew down he were almost in range and the hens were right in from of my buddy. I hear the shot and see my buddy go and pick up the bird. I walk down to take a look and only then realize that's not my buddy. Someone had slipped in between us and shot the bird. Needless to say we had words and he apologized for ruining our hunt but said he didn't know we were there. LIER, I found out later that day a friend of mine hunting on the adjoining farm had see the guy that morning and told him we were hunting that area.

Saturdays hunt.

I was hunting in the same place where I was messed up opening morning a week ago and again on this Friday morning. Owls were hooting but not a turkey sound, a little calling and still nothing. About 7:00 I see a gobbler come out of the woods and start across the field towards me. There is a low spot in the field and when he walks in there I lose sight of him. At 7:15 I hear a single gobble back in the woods. I give some clucks and a couple of yelps, no response. I sat there drink some coffee and eat a trail bar. About 8:15 I see a gobbler and a hen come out of the woods and start coming my way. When they see the decoys the hen stops but the gobbler goes into strut. When he comes out of strutt he starts running at the jake decoy, he stops and I take the shot. He was 24 steps away. I would've liked to see what he would do to the jake decoy but I wasn't taking any chances on getting messed up again.  23 lbs. 5oz. with a 11 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:22:24 PM »
It was a pretty chilly opening morning here in West Virginia.  My windshield on the truck was iced up this morning and I looked like I was going deer hunting not turkey hunting.  Well this morning found me at the "Witches Grave" which is one of my favorite turkey spots.  The boss gobbler there usually roosts over the creek in a very steep hollow.  Not today.  He was roosted above the first flat on the right hand side of the creek.  I was set up above the first flat on the left side.  I was ready to chalk this one up to him but stuck with it.  He gobbled fairly well on the roost but took off toward the head of the hollow off the roost.  I grabbed a cup of coffee and a couple of candy bars and settled in for a bit.  After an hour or so I started to hear him coming back out of the hollow.  He stopped about where he had roosted and gobbled his head off at a Frank Kruer copper pot call with my Macassar Ebony striker and my Titanium pot with my Dymondwood striker.  Slowly he came out his side of the hill until he was directly across from me.  I decided to stop calling all together and worry him in.  Just a little leaf scratching.  That was too much for him to stand.  Down a very steep hill, across a small creek and up my side of the hill where he found a load of Hevi 13 MagBlends at 27 yards.  I guess he didn't read the gobbler handbook that says they don't go down hill or cross creeks.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »
It was a pretty chilly opening morning here in West Virginia.  My windshield on the truck was iced up this morning and I looked like I was going deer hunting not turkey hunting.  Well this morning found me at the "Witches Grave" which is one of my favorite turkey spots.  The boss gobbler there usually roosts over the creek in a very steep hollow.  Not today.  He was roosted above the first flat on the right hand side of the creek.  I was set up above the first flat on the left side.  I was ready to chalk this one up to him but stuck with it.  He gobbled fairly well on the roost but took off toward the head of the hollow off the roost.  I grabbed a cup of coffee and a couple of candy bars and settled in for a bit.  After an hour or so I started to hear him coming back out of the hollow.  He stopped about where he had roosted and gobbled his head off at a Frank Kruer copper pot call with my Macassar Ebony striker and my Titanium pot with my Dymondwood striker.  Slowly he came out his side of the hill until he was directly across from me.  I decided to stop calling all together and worry him in.  Just a little leaf scratching.  That was too much for him to stand.  Down a very steep hill, across a small creek and up my side of the hill where he found a load of Hevi 13 MagBlends at 27 yards.  I guess he didn't read the gobbler handbook that says they don't go down hill or cross creeks.
Sounds easy, now if he'd had to cross a fence too, then I'd be impressed.  ????
good feeling when ya make an older bird do something he really didn't want to

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:35:37 AM »
Well team mates for me the KY season ended this morning at 6 AM. I was hunting a farm where I used to live and only a mile and a half where I now live. I heard some owls around 5:00 but no gobbling. At bout 5:30 I finally hear a weak gobble, I am thinking its a jake. By now its light enough to see and I move as close as I can. There is a wide open field between me and the turkeys, now there are 2 birds gobbling. I set up on the edge of the field and do a few clucks and soft yelps. Bird gobbles back a couple of times. in a few minutes I see a white head peeking over a high spot in the field. He starts coming my way, walks a few steps and stops, takes another two or three steps and stops. He does that all the way across the field. Until he gets closer I am still thinking jake, but he is a long beard and I pop him at 25 steps. This bird was really beat up, tail feathers broken and a wing feather missing. He had been going at it hard, wing tips were wore off from strutting. I could still hear another bird gobbling after I shot. 17 lbs. 5oz. 10 1/4 beard and 3/4 in. sharp spurs.