OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Call Design

Started by GobbleNut, February 02, 2015, 06:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

What call design have you found to be the best for you?  I have tried about all of the standards, plus a lot more that I have experimented with.  I have found that a basic two or three reed V-cut or combo cut design using a with .003 or a combination of .003 and prophylactic (proph) always seems to be the best for me.  Frame size doesn't seem to matter much, although the youth frames seem to be harder for me to control air flow compared to the standard or small frames. 

Gooserbat

A ghost cut built with proph or a med to heavy two reed boss hen cut works for me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

I tried making a three-reed proph with a ghost cut today after reading your post.  For me it was "okay" but not exceptional.  Of course, we all call a bit differently, so that is to be expected in many cases. 

One combination that is working well for me is two layers of .003 black with about 3/32 second reed setback, and with a right offset combo cut.  I don't use a tension meter so I can't describe that, but I would say that the reeds are stretched to what I would call a "medium" tension,...about 1/4 " on each reed. 

Otdrzman

I like a three reed (two prophs and a red or green) combo cut. Nice front end with some rasp on the back. I also like a two reed (green over black) bat wing for the soft stuff. Glad to see an area dedicated to mouth calls. Thanks

Gooserbat

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 04, 2015, 07:08:25 PM
I tried making a three-reed proph with a ghost cut today after reading your post.  For me it was "okay" but not exceptional.  Of course, we all call a bit differently, so that is to be expected in many cases. 

One combination that is working well for me is two layers of .003 black with about 3/32 second reed setback, and with a right offset combo cut.  I don't use a tension meter so I can't describe that, but I would say that the reeds are stretched to what I would call a "medium" tension,...about 1/4 " on each reed.

I guess I should have been more clear about the ghost cut when I said proph I ment two reeds of proph under latex.  I usually use yellow or gray over proph. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ZachH28

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 02, 2015, 06:29:36 PM
What call design have you found to be the best for you?  I have tried about all of the standards, plus a lot more that I have experimented with.  I have found that a basic two or three reed V-cut or combo cut design using a with .003 or a combination of .003 and prophylactic (proph) always seems to be the best for me.  Frame size doesn't seem to matter much, although the youth frames seem to be harder for me to control air flow compared to the standard or small frames. 

How much are you stretching your three reed with .003 natural and proph?

GobbleNut

Quote from: ZachH28 on February 23, 2015, 05:57:34 PM

How much are you stretching your three reed with .003 natural and proph?

I stretch the latex individually and by "feel",....don't use any sort of tension meter or gauges,...so I unfortunately can't give you any numbers to go by.  I do not put a lot of stretch in the latex,...just enough to keep the latex layers flat and with a slight amount of tension beyond that.  I would guess that I am typically stretching the latex approximately 1/4" laterally (using a two-inch strip of latex).  I know that does not help much,...but that's the best I can do at describing it. 

savduck

I like a .004 batwing or combo over two prof
Georgia Boy

perrytrails

Just starting to make my own and have tried several that has been mentioned. Thanks for the info...

I seem to stay with .003 .004 and experimenting with proph.
Made a really nice one today with .003 blk over two proph.

Split V cut is what I've always run, it amazes me how a slight difference in cut can change the call.

I need to make some ghost cut calls and try them.

perrytrails

Quote from: savduck on March 16, 2015, 10:52:18 PM
I like a .004 batwing or combo over two prof
That worked good for me, great sound.

.004 green over. 003 blk, and prof on bottom. Stretched to .175 V cutt. Liking this one too.

Onpoint

I want to get into making mouth calls. I love a ghost cut. 90 percent of the time that's what I have in. Gooserbat makes a good one, lyle Gilbert, Sadler, woodhaven toxic orange and XT. I like a ghost cut with a little backbone to it. My favorite has been 3 reed with gray top reed. Blaxk and yellow on top.works good too. For some reason the gray just has more backbone and just has a deeper more realistic back end. If I could only have one call to hunt with it would be a ghost cut.

Woodhaven has a new call the black venom.. i really like this call. Ive been a fan of the copperhead for years and this call is very similar in sound. I don't know what style cut you would call that but it's another I really like.

I' picked up a quaker boy boss hen the other night. I'm definitely going to be trying to find a custom maker that has one stretched a tad tighter and with a heavier top reed..

VAarrowslinger

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 04, 2015, 12:55:55 AM
A ghost cut built with proph or a med to heavy two reed boss hen cut works for me.

same here. a 2.5 or 3 reed ghost cut with med to heavy prop

TRKYHTR

My new favorite is a green batwing over 2 prof. I call it the Green Hornet. Killed several turkeys with it this year. It will be in my line of calls next spring.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Lonehowl

Joe, I build a call like that and your right, one of my favorites!
Mark