OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: You have $150 to buy a new turkey vest, which one would you buy and why?  (Read 14676 times)

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Re: You have $150 to buy a new turkey vest, which one would you buy and why?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »
I have had a Ol Tom I-Beam and the TatR II. Between the two the TatR II was the better vest, but it does not come in bottomland. Hoping to try on a TatR III in the next couple weeks.

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 04:40:58 PM »
Tactical tater II, because I have one and after trying a few different ones just to sell them for a loss I found the one for me.  It carries everything I need and does it securely, is very durable and the seat is the best.  The only draw back is it is a bit heavier than some of the others but I'll gladly carry an extra 1/2 pound for the features.   

Been using the Tactical tater II for about 3 seasons now.  Tried others just to return or sell them. Totally agree with Gooserbat.

Offline SpitNDrumN

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »
Sadly the best/strongest/most durable/ perfect box call and pot call pocket vest ever made isn't in production anymore more. When Russell dropped about from mossy oak and went out of business I lost my favorite vest. Luckly I have two of them one that's been worn three deer and turkey season and still in perfect shape not a single thread missing and a brand new one. It's sits up high so your thighs don't hit the bottom of the vest which keeps it from rubbing on you and aggravating you and making noise.

The NWTF Russell/mossy oak Limbhanger Vest. If you watch the Internet carefully you can find them for sale.

The one I have put through 3 deer and turkey seasons and many wash machine cycles in on the left and the New one I'm keeping until when ever or how ever many years down the road it takes to wear out my first one in on the right

What impressed me so much about the vest is the stitching. It's triple and quadruple heavy stitched in all weight bearing locations, the box cal and pot call pockets are set up the best I've ever seen, and it sits high so when your walking epically walking up steep ground the bottom of the vest doesn't hit and rub on your thigh making in comfortable and quiet. When a vest hangs low and hits your thighs it makes everything in the vest rattle and make noise. When I heard Russel was going out of business I was on a frantic search to find another for back for whenever the day came I needed I have one to last me another decade or so.

Note that's use turkey vest for deer hunting in the fall every day I deer hunt as well. So it's been through 6 hunting seasons in 3 years a many machine washes. Washing machines are the devil to a vest. One that isnt stitched well the stirching come loss. The super elites and such have never made for me more than one deer and turkey season before they started falling apart buttons and zippers breaking and such. Funny thing is they are both made by Russell but these were made a lot better and cost $130 brand new. I found my second one in a old hunting store with a bunch of clothes stacked up. I got it for $70.

Offline SpitNDrumN

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »
Best vest/best pockets/ toughest made is the Russell/mossy oak NWTF Limb hanger. Sadly Russell went out of business.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »
I'd buy a cheap vest with lots of pocket room, a gobbler lounger to sit on, and use the rest of the money on calls and shells.  ;)

Offline omegafoo

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 08:31:56 PM »
Tom Teasers "Quick Sack" and a Gobbler lounger for me. I'll spend the extra $ on gas to hunt more, shells and calls. I find the vests too hot most of the time, but then again it's also approaching 80* some afternoons by the time the late season gets here.

Offline Timmer

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »
Another vote for the Tactical Tat'r II.  Great variety of pockets and a thick, easy to deploy seat.  I love mine in general and haven't seen another that has caught my interest as a replacement.  I don't have any wear and tear on the seems, but do have some holes in the material.  I'm sure it's from barbed wire and others would have received the same abuse.  I think the 3 separate pads on the back could use some improvement.  I'd like them to be bigger (wider, not thicker) and closer together.

I'm torn on whether I'd use the kick stand model.  I haven't tried Cabelas kick stand but the brand I had before had a similar feature.  The support was great at times but at some point you have too much weight.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:56:43 PM by Timmer »
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline ScottS

You have $150 to buy a new turkey vest, which one would you buy and why?
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »

Another vote for the Tactical Tat'r II.  Great variety of pockets and a thick, easy to deploy seat.  I love mine in general and haven't seen another that has caught my interest as a replacement.  I don't have any wear and tear on the seems, but do have some holes in the material.  I'm sure it's from barbed wire and others would have received the same abuse.  I think the 3 separate pads on the back could use some improvement.  I'd like them to be bigger (wider, not thicker) and closer together.

I'm torn on whether I'd use the kick stand model.  I haven't tried Cabelas kick stand but the brand I had before had a similar feature.  The support was great at times but at some point you have too much weight.

I'm a slate caller and the pockets in the tatr seem too small for a regular sized slate. Is this true?

Offline okiegobblers

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
Just bought a tatr II, should arrive next week. Design seems very hunter friendly.

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »
I have an old 10X vest I really like , but is worn out. Been wanting to replace it but I personally hate all the new vest with the external boxcall pockets, and it seems like all the new ones are like this? Just can't see running and gunning and ripping the handle off a boxcall that's sticking out or losing one getting caught on branches and brush? Personally like the big bellows pockets with internal compartments for calls to protect and secure them like my 10X, but can't find them.

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »
Two Super Elites. One in Greenleaf and one in Bottomland. Best camo and most useful pocket configuration.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 06:29:17 PM »
I beam

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline strut

Hey All,
I registered about a week ago and have been reading posts. I learn more by reading than talking!

Since everyones season is now about over, I thought I would bring this back up to see how everyone liked their vests.

My dilemna is that I had the opportunity to purchase a new Tenzing TP14 for $150. Nice vest, good quality, I could get used to the layout. It is heavy with everything in it. Don't know if I would use the kickstand, never had one before and managed.

Cabelas Tactical Tater 2 is on sale for $119. I've never seen one, but many seem to like it alot. Is it much lighter? Layout? Has any used the Tenzing turkey vest TV14 that doesn't have the kickstand? I can get a couple of those too at a good price.

Given the scenario, would you opt for the Tater 2 and sell the Tenzing or be happy about a great deal on a real nice turkey pack?[img]http://s267.photobucket.com/user/9shot/media/IMG_5195.jpg.html/img]

Offline honker22

• Longbeard

I'm a slate caller and the pockets in the tatr seem too small for a regular sized slate. Is this true?

Slate (pot) calls fit just fine.  Its a touch tight, but I'd rather tight than a little loose.  This was my 1st year with a tat'r 2, I've been using the Super Elite 3 for years, and the tat'r 2 is much better IMO.  You won't be dissapointed.  FWIW- 1 of my friends has a hunting show and Tenzing sponsors them so they used the TP14 this past season.  He told me there is no way he would use it, if he had a choice.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline Greybeard11

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Another vote for the Tactical Tater.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne