OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: BPS 10 setups  (Read 4565 times)

Offline bschwab

BPS 10 setups
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
New to the OG forums and have read a bunch of helpful things over the past couple of days! I just go rid of my Mossberg 535 12 and upgraded to a 24" barrel BPS 10. Being a lefty, the bottom eject caught my eye right off the bat. The gun is a tad on the heavy side, but the gun fits me well (I'm 6'7"). I'm basically looking for some advice on chokes that pattern well out of this setup. Ive read some threads on here and have found a lot of helpful info, but still unsure which choke would be best for turkey.  Also, does anyone use a red dot? I'm debating on if I want to put one on or not. I know low light situations are not ideal for red dot use and have heard reflex sights solve this problem. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
Re: BPS 10 setups
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »
Welcome to Old Gobbler!  I have the same gun and barrel length and love it.  I don't use mine all the time sometimes opting for a lighter gun!  I use a Primos Jellyhead choke in mine and like it very well.

There are members here that have shot theirs a lot more than I have and probably have much better choke recommendations.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »
 :welcomeOG:

I have one with a 28 inch barrel and I'm using a Pure Gold .690 and Nitro's 2.5 oz load getting 330's on a clean tube. Like Mike, mine sees very little action mainly because I have lighter options. As far as red dots or scopes in general go, I've tried them and didn't like it.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
 :wagon:                                I'm no expert either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so.......Lol!  All kidding aside, I also have a Bps 10 (26" barrel ) I picked up awhile back. I  did some pattern testing last year with the stock turkey choke, a Kicks .690 and a Pure Gold .680. In all fairness I didn't really give the stock choke a workout as I mostly tested the other 2 chokes. Both the Pg and Kicks shot well, the Pure Gold put up the best numbers in the 10 but the Kicks seemed to be a bit more consistent and with a wider variety of shells. The current setup I'm running is the Pure Gold .680 with either the Remington Hevishot #6s (discontinued) or lead  Rem 2.25-4s . It has a B-Square mount with a Bushnell Trs 25 red dot. I love a red dot sight for turkey hunting and it really helps dial in a tight patterning combo. The ammo I tested was Rem hevishot 6s, Rem lead 4s, Winchester lead 5s and 6s, and Federal Fcw lead 4s and 5s. They all shot pretty good depending on which choke was used. I would like to try the Fed Heavyweight and Hevishot Mag-Blends yet as other members have had good patterns with them, but till then I'm happy with the results I've got so far. Good luck !

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »
I own the BPS "Stalker" 24" barrel. My choke is a .695 by Mark Bansner who used to make them for Tru-Glo. I shoot two loads thru mine. They are both discontinued now though. The first is the old Federal "Premium" 3.5" 2 1/4 oz of #6 shot. The second in the Winchester "Supreme" HV 2oz. #6 shot. I have a Tru-Glo Tru Brite red dot over a B-Square saddle mount. My gun was bought in 2001 and was a limited run "Turkey Special" that came with factory installed Hi-Vis FO sights, swivel studs,24" barrel and Brownings own XF turkey choke. It has killed some turkeys and really mows them over. The only drawback is the weight. It's very heavy. If I know I won't be doing alot of run and gun I carry it from time to time. They are a well made and good quality firearm. Good luck and have fun with it. :OGturkeyhead:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline bschwab

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »
thanks for all the input! Quick question though. Any word on jobs headhunter chokes? read some reviews and heard good things about them. looking at getting either a indian creek or headhunter .680 or .685

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »
 :OGturkeyhead: I have a Patternmaster code black turkey in my Browning Gold, best choke I ever used, very tight up close. Exellent at average to long range( 25-40 yards). They make one that will fit your BPS 10. They are $100 but in my opinion they are worth every penny. Good luck

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »
A post just went up for a choke you may be interested in. Al Baker

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »
I have a IC in my 12 gauge and really like it. If I used my 10 more I'd probably buy one for it too.