OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal Mag Shok Flite control  (Read 6257 times)

Offline brandoncoant

Federal Mag Shok Flite control
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:21:34 AM »
Anyone have any luck with Federal mag shok with the flite control? Only interested in the standard lead load (not heavyweight).I plan on shooting them out of a stoeger m3500 in 3 1/2 inch #5 or #6 shot. Also plan on buying a sumtoy custom choke tube. I have been told to shoot long beard xr with a sumtoy .650. Sounds kind of dumb,but I've recently had long conversations about turkey hunting and the Federal loads with a good friend and coworker who was killed in a car accident last week. I am a very sentimental person and would really like to bag a bird this year with the Federal loads for my friend Dennis. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
Re: Federal Mag Shok Flite control
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:51:58 AM »
Sounds very respectful. Wish I could help.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline jason5.9

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:02:46 PM »
I had an opportunity to shoot them today.  I shot the 2.25 oz load of #6 in 3.5 inch shells.  Not very impressed actually.  The long beards significantly outperformed everything else I tried today

Offline Oconeeguy

• Georgia gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »
Boy I have tried and tried the flight control wad, both mag shok lead and in Federal Heavyweight shells, with several chokes including cylinder. Results from bad to poor at 40 yds. I understand that Truelock makes a choke specifically for Heavyweight #7 shot which uses the flight control wad, so maybe call Truelock and talk to then.

Federal Turkey Thug shells from Wal-Mart and the old Federal gold and blue shells have work very well for me though.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »
Now when you shoot a Win XR on same day nothing going to look good.  :icon_thumright:

Now the thing with that wad is it is hard.  The one in 20ga is softer so it works better.  Plus with the bore of your barrel and size of wad it is going to make it build more back pressure.  The will make it harder for the choke to do it job,

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:39:47 AM »
Now when you shoot a Win XR on same day nothing going to look good.  :icon_thumright:

Now the thing with that wad is it is hard.  The one in 20ga is softer so it works better.  Plus with the bore of your barrel and size of wad it is going to make it build more back pressure.  The will make it harder for the choke to do it job,
William, what choke do you recommend for shooting the 3" Fed. Hvywght #7's thru a Remington 1187 w/21" barrel to get the best pattern???

Offline Lucky Clucker

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:33:40 AM »
I shoot them in a New England 12 ga. 3.5 inch. with a 26 in. full choke. they do good in this gun and we have killed around 10 with them. Cannot remember the numbers  but it would put around 180 in a 10 in. circle at 40 yards with the 7 shot. the lead 5 shot was ok killed some with them it was around 90 in a 10  at 40.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 07:05:23 AM »
Deepest sympathy about your friend. The flite control wads are designed to deploy from the rear (unlike most conventional wads) and DO NOT WORK well with ported choke tubes, so my advice is to call MR.Rob Roberts of gobbler guns tell him what your setup is and let him guide you from there....he does ALL of Benellis custom shotguns so he knows his stuff # 1-877-251-9955. Again,deepest sympathies for your loss and remember someone is always with you when you choose to remember them in your heart...GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
I had good luck with the 3" #5 out of a few different guns. One like modified, the others factory full. I have never really seen the inconsistency people talk about, but then I just check  'em and go hunt. Wind does seem to affect that wad more than other types, though.

I'd be really surprised if 2oz of lead fives out of that wad and any factory flush modified or full would not kill a gobbler at forty. It might not impress anyone that doesn't remember doing the forty yard dash back in the day, but I'd be really surprised if it didn't work.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »
I had good luck with the 3" #5 out of a few different guns. One like modified, the others factory full. I have never really seen the inconsistency people talk about, but then I just check  'em and go hunt. Wind does seem to affect that wad more than other types, though.

I'd be really surprised if 2oz of lead fives out of that wad and any factory flush modified or full would not kill a gobbler at forty. It might not impress anyone that doesn't remember doing the forty yard dash back in the day, but I'd be really surprised if it didn't work.
x2.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »

William, what choke do you recommend for shooting the 3" Fed. Hvywght #7's thru a Remington 1187 w/21" barrel to get the best pattern???

I like the 650 for it.  Now that is not the normal one that we send out it on just for them.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline harvester

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »
I shoot a mossberg 835 with a Hastings .690 choke (not ported) and get really good patterns with the Feds #6s 3.5"s.