North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How's everybody doing?

Started by dirt road ninja, January 23, 2015, 10:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

How has everyone been?
Things are good on my end. The kids are getting bigger and I took my daughter on her first deer hunt a few weeks ago. We didn't kill one, but saw plenty and that seemed to be enough for her. Next year I will let her shoot one if she wants to, this year she just wasn't ready (my fault). My son is burnt out on the deer and we still have almost a month left in the season. It's been tough, we are seeing 20 deer a day with NO SHOOTERS, and so he is frustrated. I've switch jobs recently, same company different position much closer to home and I heard that I might be changing over again in the near future.
On to the birds – Got my usual spot in S.W. Mississippi (was great last year), but I heard they will be logging it in the next few months. No big deal, I will adjust strategies or areas depending on what's going on. I've also got just under 2,000 acres in S.E. Mississippi that looks very promising, this is where I plan on spending most of my time. Never turkey hunted this piece before, but it is well laid out and we've seen a few birds this fall and winter. I've also got another K.S. trip planned for around the 2nd week in May. I'm taking my son with me, so he will hopefully whack a pair of Rio's. Either way it will be an adventure, I hunted this area last year and tagged out in 2 days and should have been done on the first day. I'm also trying to bum a trip on my friends deer lease in Texas to chase his birds. He says we are going and I hope it goes through. The place is ate up with birds, he sends me pictures all the time when he's deer hunting.
Those are my tentative plans, what's ya'lls?

davisd9

Doing good here in SC.  Did not deer hunt much this season with the young son, but the hunts I did have were quite entertaining overall.  Saw a real good buck but no shot.  Got to watch a couple young bucks spar a bit.  That was pretty neat and the first time I have ever seen it in the wild. 

Think it will be a good year here is SC.  We had a bunch of jakes last season and some groups of longbeards have been popping up.  So ready for the season to get here.

Hoping to make it to Mississippi this season as well as hopefully Florida on a quota hunt.  Not sure 100% yet on those plans but sure hope so.  Either way I will be full go starting April 1. 

Hope everyone is doing well and it is not long before the grandest time of the year.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WV Ridge Reaper

Sick and tired or nasty weather.. Ready for warm air and to hear some whippoorwills,owl,and of course turkeys.

I'll be out in WV everyday that I'm not away working and I will be in Kansas as well..No date set in stone but it's looking like the last week of April or first week of May.

Everyone I have spoke to recommends one of those weeks..It will be my first time there and first out of state trip.

Dirt Road have you been to Kansas before ?

dirt road ninja

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on January 23, 2015, 09:35:21 PM

Dirt Road have you been to Kansas before ?

Yep, this will be my third year and the latest I've gone. The weeks you picked should be good. Originally I was planning on the first week of May, but my son has testing in school that week and I didn't want to cut into MS or AL seasons. It will be good, as the weather isn't horrible I can't image the hunting being bad.

WV Ridge Reaper

Which part of the state are you going to ? We plan to hunt anything we can find past 81 I believe it is..So the North central/west part of the state...My buddy is in college and his finals are right around that time so he's trying to get his dates worked out.

Have any luck knocking on door ?

I heard the wind never stops blowing ?

Find trees and you find turkeys. 

dirt road ninja

I've hunted the north central part once and the S.E part. Never tried knocking on doors, using an outfitter. I would think if I showed up with a couple hundred pounds of shrimp I could hunt just about anywhere I wanted, but it's too far a drive and too little vacation time for me to gamble. The wind can be bad - not anything to worry about as long as you a have a few days. I worry more about cold fronts and rain. Trees help, but I see them on ground without trees a lot to. The thing that I found the strangest is how much further those birds will travel. You could be on a farm with 0 birds and a hour later 50 show up. Use your binoculars and truck, you will easily find birds. Securing access to them ???? I have seen them on the walk in ground and if it wasn't so far that's what I would do. My first trip up there I kicked myself in the butt the entire ride back for not going up there years ago.

WV Ridge Reaper

Thanks for the advice..Shoot me a pm sometime and so we can exchange numbers!

WNY Bowhunter

It's crazy that deer season is still going down there...season has been closed here in NY for over a month!!!  Gun season was a bust but I did okay with my bow. Ended up arrowing two fat does and a genetically inferior buck...

I was fortunate enough to fill my fall turkey tag with my bow too... :happy0064:

10.5" beard, 1" spurs...

I'm in shed hunting mode now which will occupy my time for the next couple of months. Only one antler so far...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

WNY Bowhunter

Here are some members of the 2015 hit list...

This dude has a cool beard...

Or is it beards?

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

dirt road ninja

Congrats on the bow kills! Our season closes February 15th, as I type this I'm watching a spike harassing two does. I think you have a multi bearded bird on your hands. Your finding sheds and I'll see racked bucks while turkey hunting.

davisd9

Good buck!  Congratulations on a great deer season my friend!  Definitely need to kill that ole bird, he is giving the camera the crazy eye and I just do not trust him.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

Doing well!  Great to see everyone checking in.  I'm still in deer mode here in VA, we have a late antlerless season here in my county that runs until March 29th so hope to fill another doe tag or two with my bow.  Plan to get out for some squirrel hunting as well, been seeing alot of turkey tracks on the logging roads where I hunt so it was good to see the logging they did well into deer season didn't effect them.  I think we will be eat up with gobblers this spring, what I am hearing from other hunters is lots of gobbler gangs this fall. 

davisd9

Got a report from my father in law this morning that birds were everywhere yesterday on the farm.  This morning he saw two flocks of bird totaling 30-40 birds combined.  Said that around half, maybe a little less, where birds with visible, hanging beards.  Hope at least 8-10 stick around.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Turkeykiller12

Thankful to report that everything is going good here in NW Georgia. Had an excellent deer season without killing a single deer myself. I was blessed being able to take my 6 year old son several times this season and he done great. During our youth rifle week he got his first deer, it was a small doe. I think I might've been more excited than him. We kept hunting hard and finally about the middle of November he got his first buck a 6pt. We just got it back from the taxidermy last week. It was truly an awesome deer season and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I carried him turkey hunting last season but we didn't have any luck. Hopefully this spring that will be different. We fished a little bit this past weekend and caught a few. I've got another little boy that's 3 and he is coming along just fine and hopefully will love hunting and fishing just like his big brother. I'm locked and loaded for turkey season, picked up another piece of land that is loaded with birds. Hopefully it'll be another good year and we'll all be blessed. Hope everyone and their families are happy and healthy.

dirt road ninja

It's definitely more exciting watching your kids do it. Congratulations to the young killer!! Hopefully they will stay with it and you'll get many more years of enjoyment out of.