OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Decoy positioning and Distance..  (Read 2487 times)

Offline redleg06

• Longbeard
Decoy positioning and Distance..
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
This will be my first year bow hunting for turkey and Ill be using a blind so I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on decoy positioning and distance. 

Ive never really hunted much (one other time with a shotgun) from a blind before and while I can see that you guys say turkey are comfortable getting close to them, how far out are you guys putting your decoys?  10-15 yds?

Second question, how do you set your decoys up?

Ive got a pair of DSD's  - a jake and a feeding hen and with a shotgun, Ive usually killed the birds before they get up real close to the decoys.  Is there a specific way you face the decoys to get a certain shot angle or anything of the sort that might help me out?

Offline bcc2011

Re: Decoy positioning and Distance..
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
First off bowhunting turkey is like a whole new kind of turkey hunting.  15 yards is a good distance to set your decoys up, I would also put the hen in front of the jake like hes going to mount her that will drive a tom crazy if he sees her.  With you being in a blind it makes it alot easier to bow hunt, turkeys have great vision and pick up the slightest movement thats why i wouldn't position the decoys closer than 15 yards. Good luck bowhunting its the greatest adrenaline in my opinion to hunting.
Brother Custom Calls

Offline MDbowman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:14 AM »
I have read, and it makes sense to me, to  place your jake/gobbler decoys facing you, and your hen decoys facing away from you in the 10-15 yard range.  The theory being that the gobbler will more often (never say always!) approach a jake from the front and a hen from behind. Unlike some of the guys posting here I can't say I have a ton of experience with this - only bowhunt turkeys a few times a Spring.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
I put my decoys under 10 yds., spring or fall. They will almost always come around and face the jake but not always.I've had to wait for them to clear the decoy alot to shoot.You can see this in my newest dvd.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Mikehunts2

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 08:39:53 AM »
Like to see this thread alive again