OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question about NWTF Nationals at Nashville  (Read 20079 times)

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Question about NWTF Nationals at Nashville
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
I heard a rumor that nobody who has a call entered in any of the call competitions will be allowed to be a judge this year. Curious if there is any truth to this rumor? That would sure help keep some callmaker buddies from judging each others' competition. I have never understood how three judges can judge a category and two of them are best friends with a guy who has calls entered in that category. I have been told that when this has happened that friendship played no role in who won but somehow I just never accepted that answer. Politics, money, and friendship should not be a factor but has been in the past. Way too many top callmakers no longer enter the competition because of it.

Heck, I have several redneck turkey hunting buddies who can run a call with the best of them that would be happy to judge and they are not friends with any of the callmakers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:41:13 PM by hunter22 »

Offline hunter62

Re: Question about NWTF Nationals at Nashville
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
Its been pretty easy to guess the winners very early in to the  competition .Good Luck to all who enter !

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »
If that's the case not really worth entering your call then and that's bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TRKYHTR

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Mother Lode Turkey Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
I think the top 5 GNCC friction callers should judge them. Or top 10 if some of those have calls entered. The top friction callers in the world should be able to find the best sounding calls.

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »
I think the top 5 GNCC friction callers should judge them. Or top 10 if some of those have calls entered. The top friction callers in the world should be able to find the best sounding calls.

Sure would be nice Joe.  :anim_25:

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »
I think MOST callmakers would like that Joe. It would certainly even the playing field. But has anyone heard the rumor I heard that nobody with a call entered will be allowed to judge? I am sure that some of the NWTF gurus can answer this question.

Offline pappy

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • 2014 Midwest Best of Class Air operated tube calls
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
I think MOST callmakers would like that Joe. It would certainly even the playing field. But has anyone heard the rumor I heard that nobody with a call entered will be allowed to judge? I am sure that some of the NWTF gurus can answer this question.
Don't know about that...but they sent me a judge's form along with my call maker's registration, so it would look like they are searching for judges prior to knowing who is or is not entering calls.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »
Denny,

Like I said in an earlier post, I know some redneck turkey killers that can flat out run a turkey call and they don't know any of the callmakers from Adam. I bet they would be happy to judge at Nashville if asked. They are not competition callers but just plain ole turkey killing thugs.

You and I both know guys who have won in the past and lots of folks who have played their calls asked the question, "How did they win?"

Offline Sadler McGraw

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:08:16 PM »
This is my first year to enter calls, and I am very excited to finally have calls entered. 

I have always wanted to judge the friction calls, but competing in the calling contest has always conflicted with doing that.

But every year I have gone down and ran most of if not all the winning pot calls.  I have picked up calls with blue ribbons, ran them and then looked around to see if there was some sort of mix up, and I would be like someone actually thinks this call is good.  I have ran calls that did not get a sniff of a ribbon, and they were some of the top calls I have ever had in my hand.

I ran some calls last year that had Clint Corders name on them, and I was like "They got it right this year"!!!

I agree with having the called signed and dated, but I think the signature should be covered with a piece of blue painters tape. 

Sadler
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
This is my first year to enter calls, and I am very excited to finally have calls entered. 

I have always wanted to judge the friction calls, but competing in the calling contest has always conflicted with doing that.

But every year I have gone down and ran most of if not all the winning pot calls.  I have picked up calls with blue ribbons, ran them and then looked around to see if there was some sort of mix up, and I would be like someone actually thinks this call is good.  I have ran calls that did not get a sniff of a ribbon, and they were some of the top calls I have ever had in my hand.

I ran some calls last year that had Clint Corders name on them, and I was like "They got it right this year"!!!

I agree with having the called signed and dated, but I think the signature should be covered with a piece of blue painters tape. 

Sadler

TRUTH!!

and Corder does make a fine pot!

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 04:37:08 PM »
Well said Sadler. Everyone knows that in a lot of cases friendships, money, and politics have played a role in who has won the call competition at Nationals. Hopefully that will be addressed this year if the rumors I am hearing are true. I have had calls made by some of the big winners that I would be ashamed to run in the woods. They were that bad. And yes, Clint makes a fine pot call.

Good luck to you. It is unfortunate that some of you callmakers cannot run your own stuff. I know another callmaker who I think would win his competition if he could run his calls for the judges.

Offline TRKYHTR

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Mother Lode Turkey Calls
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 11:57:13 PM »
I agree with Sadler 100%. I even made a short video clip of me running 5 different calls last year. I asked several people which was the best sounding call and nobody picked the blue ribbon winner. BTW it wasn't a pot call.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »
I agree with Sadler 100%. I even made a short video clip of me running 5 different calls last year. I asked several people which was the best sounding call and nobody picked the blue ribbon winner. BTW it wasn't a pot call.

Joe

I remember that Joe. I agree with Sadler too. Also, I don't think a judge should be in a call makers booth running his calls before the judging occurs on Thur. either. Just sayin'....

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
I picked the same one you said was your favorite, Joe.

Offline Sadler McGraw

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »
In some instances a judge might not pick a call because it doesn't fit him.  Case in point, last night a gentleman was at my house and he is a world class friction caller.  He ran three pot calls in my living room that had all made the cut by me to be sold or whatever.  The first two he ran, every note of yelping  had a high sqweek in it, the third call he could hammer on. 

Any one of those calls, I would have entered this year in Nashville, because I could run them.  But here was a guy that can run a call as good as me, didn't sound as good on two of my calls.  So I could see this happening to a judge.   

I sold a call this year this year to a well known caller, he sent it back and said it had no backend just the hight part.  The striker marks he left on the call were about 1/4" higher on a call than where I run a call..  When I saw it, I thought what a dumb @&&, he doesn't know how to run a call..  But I am sure in the past he has found calls that suited him, my call just didn't fit the way he calls.

I have told this story dozens of times,  the year that I won the GNCC Friction, the call that I won with came from Woodhaven.  A customer had purchased it, it was mailed to him and then he sent it back and said it was a piece of junk.  I picked that same call up at the Woodyhaven shop and ran it and to this day is the best call I have ever held.  I said that morning, I will win the GNCC in two weeks with this, and I did.   To the customer, it might not have worked for him, but for me it did.

This same scenario can be played out in the duck and goose calls, a long reed vs a short reed in a duck call.  A callmaker might put a big lipstop on his trumpet where the next guy need a small one to call well. 

I guess what I am saying is, sometimes it might be a little luck in having a judge run your calls and they fit him or not!

Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion