OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: nice tom down...  (Read 3187 times)

Offline buckluck_9pt

nice tom down...
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
what a day.. i am sooo tired, i had to work midnights last night and got off at 6:30am.. i know it's best to be out in the dark but i had to get out there.. i set up by the pond at our spot that splits 2 corn fields.. had my hen and strutting jake out.. was set up and hunting by 7:30am.. did some calling but nothing, wind was blowing in a non favorable way for me.. so around 9:30am i decided to get out of there.. i figured what the heck, instead of going right to the van i will walk through the tractor trail in our bush and it will bring me out right by my van.. i stopped and called every 20 yards or so, making sure that when i stopped to call there was a nice big tree to sit by in case a turkey sounded off close to me.. well, glad i did because that's exactly what happened.. i called and BAM, i turkey gobbled and man, he was extremely close. the trail had an "S" bend in it, and this tom was about 50 yards away. i sat quickly and waited.. i was worried as i had no face mask, was wearing jeans ( i was intending on hunting just in my blind) and was in bright sunlight.. oh well.. i called lightly and he sounded off again, man he is coming in fast!! i see a bright white head bobbing it's way down the trail.. he steps out and is about 30 yards and spots me.. man, he looked huge.. he gobbled and again and i squeezed the trigger... I MISSED!!!! the weird thing is, he hopped up, landed and ran right at me.. lol.. shot again and stopped him dead in his tracks.. not to bad of a bird either... exactly 24 lbs, 10 1/2" beard and both spurs were 1 1/4"... what a day!!!.. first day out this year and hunted a mere 2 1/2 hours..

here is a pic of it , tagged, beside my gun..

here is a pic of me with my bird and my youngest back at the house..