turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lathe tool recommendations

Started by Brantley, December 20, 2014, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brantley

I just got a small mini lathe and was wondering if anyone could recommend some necessary tools for hollowing out pots. Do you guys just use full size rough out tools or mini tools? Also, is a spindle gouge set all u need to shape the outside?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

mmclain

spindle gouges are not for pot call turning. they are for center work/striker.  pot calls have end grain and face grain. you need scraper tool...a spindle gouge will end up in a very bad catch...you won't use it but once after it slings the billet off the lathe our the tool flies out of your hand or breaks.......

get a book on wood turning ....ASAP!! learn the right way not by trial and error.......your finished product will be better and easier to produce

parting tool
1/2" round nose scraper
1/2 or 3/4 square/flat scraper
bowl gouge if you wish but not necessary
3/4 skew is nice to sheer scrape
good sand paper no junk!!
carbide tools are more expensive to replace cutters and can be used in a multiple of ways...but not necessary

strikers
roughing gouge will do 90% of the work
spindle gouge for detail

refer to www.woodturnerscatalog.com  all tools are of standard to high quality... avoid Chinese cr@p good tools make life easier..

Matt McLain
McLain's Turkey Calls

mastevt

I have this 3 piece carbide set that I use, and haven't had any issues, and going carbide, I've never looked back.  Although I don't turn a pot 100% on the lathe, or what I have is a shopsmith, I do the edge to make the pot perfectly round.  Then I use a router and incra lift to machine out the pot. 

http://www.rockler.com/carbide-mini-turning-tool-3-piece-set

M,Yingling

a good cheap start would be a set lathe tools from harbor freight ,,, every thing you need get started ,,,learn to sharpen them ,,,then jump up to good set tools
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Brantley

Thank you all for the information. I have a book that mainly covers turning duck and goose calls. It has a section that briefly discusses pot calls. Not a wealth of knowledge but more than none. It recommends a spigot or screw chuck for pot turning. Is that what you guys use?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

mastevt

Quote from: Brantley on December 22, 2014, 02:56:29 AM
Thank you all for the information. I have a book that mainly covers turning duck and goose calls. It has a section that briefly discusses pot calls. Not a wealth of knowledge but more than none. It recommends a spigot or screw chuck for pot turning. Is that what you guys use?

I have a shopsmith, and this is one method I have used.

This is similar, but I had my mounting plate modified by a machine shop, they put 1/4 x 24 threads in the center.  This is much easier and faster.

I believe alot of guys use this method also.

mmclain

4 jaw chuck...is a good way to go more $$ but is versatile...purchase your lathe tools one at a  time for specific use.  avoid purchasing a large set.... you wont use most of the tools in the set.  a good book on wood turning is Richard Raffin's book he will tell you don't by sets of tools your wasting money.. also don't buy cheap cr@p unless you really like sharpening. tools that dull quickly make life miserable.  Carbide tools do let you skip the learning curve on sharpening...

get the wood turning books............I've seen people really use some tools that were as dull as my fingernail just because they didn't know how to properly sharpen the lathe tools...there is a lot more to it than your think...a nice edge will hold up for hours and only requires a touch up with little more than an india stone or diamond hone.... I've owned most all of my lathe tools for over 10 years turned well over 1000 pots and the steel looks barely used...  ask yourself if you would rather use a knife made in Pakistan or a good Boker, Puma, Case and apply the answer to your purchase.

matt