turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Duck Choke Tube

Started by nctrkyhntr, November 23, 2014, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nctrkyhntr

For all of you water fowlers out there, I need some advice. I am shooting a stoeger 12ga. I am hunting over a steady moving river that is roughly 50 yards wide. We do hunt over decoys. I am looking for a good after market choke tube that increase my pattern performance over my factory tube. Plus I want a little extra help hitting those high flyers that you typically can't get with your factory tube.

Does anyone have advice on what choke tube to go with?

Thank you for any help

reynolds243

Kicks high flyer in full or modified. Was nasty in my Steoger

nctrkyhntr

I was just looking at those. Thank you for your input

timberchicken

Swampchickin234

Kicks high flyer hands down.  Kicks mod with kent and rio 3-11/4 -2s   Kicks full with 3-11/4-3,4,5 kent rio and winchester  and kicks xfull with winchester and rio and kent 4,5. (All straight steel).  I myself run kicks, as do most of my very large family and a very big group of friends.   Quality chokes at a reasonable price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assault

Carlson Extended Range

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Sumtoy with Remington hypersonic or Kent fast steel.

Assault

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on November 24, 2014, 06:02:16 AM
Sumtoy with Remington hypersonic or Kent fast steel.
yea, go on and tell me how ur bolt holds up to hypersonics

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've had no issues with hypersonics at 1700fps.

We killed 472 geese in the 2013-2014 season and I've never seen a load that hit harder. The hypersonic 4s were impressive on ducks, too.
Had issues with the wad blowing the pattern for a while w the Carlson extended range tube but the Sumtoy cleaned it up and gave me the patterns I wanted out to 40.  We decoy and most of our birds are killed inside 15 yards.

Assault

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on November 24, 2014, 05:27:52 PM
I've had no issues with hypersonics at 1700fps.

We killed 472 geese in the 2013-2014 season and I've never seen a load that hit harder. The hypersonic 4s were impressive on ducks, too.
Had issues with the wad blowing the pattern for a while w the Carlson extended range tube but the Sumtoy cleaned it up and gave me the patterns I wanted out to 40.  We decoy and most of our birds are killed inside 15 yards.
I blew a bolt apart in my semi, didn't pattern worth a dang in my pump. Now I'm back to shooting 1400fps, buying 2.5 boxes of shells to one box of hypersonics.

So ur saying u ran 472+ shells of hypersonics thru ur gun? What gun are u using? 15 yards, u trying to blow holes in them?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Never really worry about blowing holes in Canada's.... The sport is convincing a live animal to land in an artificial spread at point blank range. Had a couple hit shotgun barrels when we came out of the layouts last year.

I ran my old 3" 870 all last season for sentimental purposes with a 28" barrel and Sumtoy light modified. I agree that the hypersonics are expensive for most but I can get them at 190/case and it was incentive to give them a try.  I hunted side by side with guys running hevi-metal, xpert, and fast steel.  The hypersonics just flat out annihilate them but I have no reservations about fast steel or xpert.

Assault

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on November 25, 2014, 11:43:09 AM
Never really worry about blowing holes in Canada's.... The sport is convincing a live animal to land in an artificial spread at point blank range. Had a couple hit shotgun barrels when we came out of the layouts last year.

I ran my old 3" 870 all last season for sentimental purposes with a 28" barrel and Sumtoy light modified. I agree that the hypersonics are expensive for most but I can get them at 190/case and it was incentive to give them a try.  I hunted side by side with guys running hevi-metal, xpert, and fast steel.  The hypersonics just flat out annihilate them but I have no reservations about fast steel or xpert.
can I have some of what u smoking?
So ur goose hunting wit #4, mod choke, hitting birds with ur barrel when u pop out of blind? Really?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Goose hunting with hypersonic 1s.... Decoying with layout blinds in cut corn fields, chopped corn fields, bean fields, wheat fields and hay fields, and yes, literally had birds hit the barrels of the guns last year as we came out to cut em.

Shooting ducks w 4s.....
Dunno if you've ever heard of the eastern shore of MD and surrounding areas of MD and VA but the shooting is pretty phenomenal solid.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Assault on November 26, 2014, 02:22:19 AM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on November 25, 2014, 11:43:09 AM

can I have some of what u smoking?
So ur goose hunting wit #4, mod choke, hitting birds with ur barrel when u pop out of blind? Really?

It's cool to be an Internet keyboard jockey and act like you know what you're talking about, Assault. Just a few shoots where the only thing smoking was the barrel.... You should try it sometime.

Assault

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on November 26, 2014, 06:08:35 AM
Goose hunting with hypersonic 1s.... Decoying with layout blinds in cut corn fields, chopped corn fields, bean fields, wheat fields and hay fields, and yes, literally had birds hit the barrels of the guns last year as we came out to cut em.

Shooting ducks w 4s.....
Dunno if you've ever heard of the eastern shore of MD and surrounding areas of MD and VA but the shooting is pretty phenomenal solid.

I can see #1s busting geese wide open! Yea, as a key board jockey, sure thing bud! But if u look at ur first post, u said u were shooting geese with #4! Has for hypersonic's I know first hand of the damage they cause! Sheared the firing pin retainer pin in my VERSAMAX (had to rebuild the complete bolt), and cracked my bolt on my 870 SM. When I talked to Remington about it, they stated the shell generated to much pressure. Now all I shoot is RIO MGN 3" (#4 for teal and #2 for big duck)........ so I'm telling u from my mishaps, they cause damage! As for barrel smoking, I keep it hot and slinging steel!
That was opening weekend in the gulf! So, guess I'm a keyboard shooter also!